Premed 101 Forums

Where should I apply?

Dana1989

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you can rate me and give me suggestions of where and when to apply.

I double majored in undergrad (went to YorkU, bio and psych) with a cGPA of 3.86 based on the AMCAS scale. I also graduated with the highest average in my college, if that counts for anything, and won a few awards. That being said, I didn't take full course loads in all years but I don't think American schools care that much.

I'm about to finish up my MPH from UofT.

I haven't written the MCAT yet, but will in the summer. I'm also missing a couple of prereq's like orgo and physics so I'll have to take them during the 2014/2015 academic year.

Hmm, extracurriculars include 3 years of hospital volunteering (over 350 hours), peer advisor for 3 years (leadership role as a senior peer advisor in the final year), had a little thing at a sexual assault centre but that lasted a couple of months, tutored a child with a disability, and high school students.

Also did 2 practicums as part of my MPH, one that looked at optimizing breast cancer screening strategies, and another one at the largest genetic research lab in Canada. I'm working on 2 papers but it's unlikely that they'll get published by the time I apply.

Any recommendations for when and where to apply? I'm looking into the west coast (California), and preferably somewhere warm. Florida is nice, too. :) Do I have a chance at Ivy's? I know a lot will depend on the MCAT at this point. I'm also open to New York State, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.

Thanks

Archived