Premed 101 Forums

School Prestige Important?

No, as long as you have completed their prereqs, it does not matter. However, I did read here somewhere that a person did an English course at York, and some medschools did not accept it.

In the end, GPA is king.

Whoa? Really?

Maybe it just wasn't a writing intensive course or whatever, since US schools specify what type of English credit is required.

Also, you can be accepted without completing prereqs, you just need to have them completed before matriculating. Therefore it would be wise to ask the school that accepted you ahead of time if a certain course follows their prerequisite standards.

Also, in the US I believe MCAT is King and GPA is Queen, but that's just what I've heard.

Also, in the US I believe MCAT is King and GPA is Queen, but that's just what I've heard.

That was my experience. Especially as a Canadian going MD mcat is huge. Even at public schools where the avg is 29-30 MCAT is important 'cause you are international (so you should aim for a 32+ with nothing under 9 but preferably at least 10s). Ivies don't really discriminate against Cdns, but then you need a sick mcat (33-34+ at least).

Not sure which Ivies will accept an MCAT score of 33-34, I personally feel that a score of 34 is **** for Ivies (34 is also what I got on my MCAT).

For Ivies, def, i would say 35+ is decent.

I was thinking minimum 34. If you look at their stats the 10th percentile (bottom) is 31 to 33 usually).

School prestige for the most part will not matter. BUT I've been interviewing at top US schools this cycle and most of the students are from top schools, but I think that's because those schools have better quality students and not because of school prestige. Most important factor is GPA, then MCAT, then ECs, letters etc.

School prestige for the most part will not matter. BUT I've been interviewing at top US schools this cycle and most of the students are from top schools, but I think that's because those schools have better quality students and not because of school prestige. Most important factor is GPA, then MCAT, then ECs, letters etc.

Hmm, I've heard the opposite: MCAT then GPA. I've already addressed this on the forums, but there seems to be a disagreement.

I think GPA is a major player if you are comparing low vs high GPAs (ie. 3.4 vs 3.8), but when you get to that GPA upper limit (ie 3.8+), then it is looked at more or less the same (3.8 = 3.9 = 4.0).

Meanwhile, although there is a large difference between low and high MCAT scores (28 vs 36), there is still a large difference when you hit that higher limit (34 < 35 < 36 < 37).

I could be totally wrong on all of this, but that's just my impression from looking at average accepted stats, anecdotal evidence, etc.

Archived