Premed 101 Forums

Interview Questions

The general rule when applying for jobs, med school, pretty much anything, is that if it's on your CV, it's fair game. Since you did these activities, shouldn't it be really straightforward to talk about them?

does ottawa only ask you about the ECs that you indicated as your top 3 during the interview? or can they ask you about anything on your application, even if its not what you indicated as one of your top 3?

Disclaimer:This is not Ottawa's question bank, but it is a useful resource to know what to expect on a panel style interview

http://www.mun.ca/cdel/career_students/medicine_questions.php

As you can see from the second question, "why do you want to be a doctor?", you're going to want to have a grasp of what is it that drives you to be passionate about this field. You likely didn't wake up one day and suddenly have the passion to be a doctor. What was the mental process that brought you to be so passionate about a particular career that you decided to dedicate about 1/8 of your life to becoming qualified in it?

When I did this, prior to my interview, I listed out about the top 10-20 things that make me love medicine, and I reflected on all of them individually.

Ex. I want to be a leader - but why medicine? CEO, MBA, Accountants, Engineers, .... all of these have that quality. What defines medicine amongst these fields as the 'winner' (most enticing) to fulfills that role?

Understanding YOU is probably the single hardest, but most important thing (IMHO) that you should do.

GP

Adding onto this, what I did to help with the "why doctor" question is I wrote it out as if it was a story. Not saying you should rehearse what you write (DO NOT sound robotic), but at the same time writing it out like a story will give you some flow and get your ideas across when asked that question. No interviewer wants to have to trace your dots. E.g.: I would get lost if you talked about something that happened in grade 10, then first year, then grade 8, then last month and back to when you were 5. Find some kind of path that they can follow so that they don't have to try to think too hard.

Disclaimer:This is not Ottawa's question bank, but it is a useful resource to know what to expect on a panel style interview

http://www.mun.ca/cdel/career_students/medicine_questions.php

As you can see from the second question, "why do you want to be a doctor?", you're going to want to have a grasp of what is it that drives you to be passionate about this field. You likely didn't wake up one day and suddenly have the passion to be a doctor. What was the mental process that brought you to be so passionate about a particular career that you decided to dedicate about 1/8 of your life to becoming qualified in it?

When I did this, prior to my interview, I listed out about the top 10-20 things that make me love medicine, and I reflected on all of them individually.

Ex. I want to be a leader - but why medicine? CEO, MBA, Accountants, Engineers, .... all of these have that quality. What defines medicine amongst these fields as the 'winner' (most enticing) to fulfills that role?

Understanding YOU is probably the single hardest, but most important thing (IMHO) that you should do.

GP

Archived