Premed 101 Forums

Chance me

zizo5

Hi guys,

I know there are lots of chance threads out there, but I couldn't find any with similar stats as mine:

1st yr: 3.66

2nd yr: 3.8

3rd yr: 3.81

4th yr: 3.57

cum gpa: 3.71

sgpa: 3.65

MCAT: 10/10/10

Currently doing a course based MPH, and it doesn't look like my gpa will go any higher.

What are my chances if I apply on the first day of rolling admissions?

The MPH will help, average stats, it will highly depend on your ECs.

Provide a rough breakdown of your ECs and then we can give a better idea for MD schools. Although a 33+ MCAT would be better, a 30+ MCAT won't kill you for all the MD schools that take Canadians, if you got above average ECs and can write well for your PS and secondaries.

ECs: Swim instructor, summer camp instructor, Manager at Kumon math and reading, biomedical waste management associate, bilingual, VP academic for a university student group, vice-chair for an organization, summer volunteering at a hospital, sports, travel, some minor research in undergrad, but no publications, and I will have a public health practicum by the time I apply this cycle.

ECs: Swim instructor, summer camp instructor, Manager at Kumon math and reading, biomedical waste management associate, bilingual, VP academic for a university student group, vice-chair for an organization, summer volunteering at a hospital, sports, travel, some minor research in undergrad, but no publications, and I will have a public health practicum by the time I apply this cycle.

Those are some decent ECs. Remember that AMCAS allows only 15 spots, so I would only pick out ones that are of great significance either to you or your pursuit of medicine.

Given that you have a decent MCAT and fair grades, I would apply to ~20 schools and do so early (even on the first day that AMCAS opens). Even then, being Canadian, we're still at a slight disadvantage when it comes to American schools...

Anyways, I think you have a great shot, especially at some low-mid tier schools.

Archived