Premed 101 Forums

Programs I Should Consider

miyagi01

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what your opinion was on my statistics and where I should be applying. I recently wrote the MCAT for the 4th time and had my best results to date. I scored a 34 (11P, 8V, 15B). On my previous attempts I have scored 23(8P, 6V, 9B), 29 (11P, 8V, 10B), and 29 (9P, 10V, 10B).

I have a pretty good GPA from a Canadian university (3.71 OMSAS, 3.88 AMCAS). I'm currently in a masters program slated to be completed in December. I have some decent EC's involving research (a few publications), work experience, TA experience, and employment, and volunteering.

My biggest concern is my verbal mcat component. I am going to apply broadly. However, where would you expect my most realistic optionss lie? Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks!

Great AMCAS GPA, masters experience with publication and a 34 MCAT(although 4th attempt) will help you be competitive for USMD schools.

Apply broadly to all the low-tier and mid-tier schools and very early in the application cycle, and make sure to outline in your PS, why it took you 4 tries to really do well, and how you grew from it. Write some good secondaries, and get great LORS and hope for some love.

The verbal score won't be a big deal, the overall score is looked at, and the sciences mostly in the US.

as advair said, your GPA and MCAT (the best one anyway) are great. What is the reason for your initial lower scores (and more importantly lack of improvement)? I think the multiple attempts will be your biggest obstacle.

when advair says apply early, this means have your app submitted by early June. This means beginning the writing process in May or earlier (ie writing your primary before the app for next cycle opens up), and having letters of recommendation ready to go by June (start asking in April).

my first attempt was kind of a write-off, i was taking organic and physics at the same time, and didnt have a lot of preparation time in between.

my second attempt was around my testing average so not too many complaints

my third attempt i was testing around the mid-30's which made my score difficult to take. I had been re-using the same AAMC tests I used for my first re-write. So I think that made me a little over-confident and I got hit by the test itself. I also emphasized the verbal so I was able to bring that up but my physical suffered as a result.

For this most recent re-write I focussed more so on doing passages, and that really helped bring my score up. I unfortunately ran out of good verbal material (used the EK101 twice, and TPR Verbal twice, and TBR practice exams where I was scoring well, but were far different from the real thing) so I think that's a big reason for the dip in my verbal.

Definitely wont be re-writing again though. Really wish I hit 10 or at least 9 in verbal tho.

my first attempt was kind of a write-off, i was taking organic and physics at the same time, and didnt have a lot of preparation time in between.

my second attempt was around my testing average so not too many complaints

my third attempt i was testing around the mid-30's which made my score difficult to take. I had been re-using the same AAMC tests I used for my first re-write. So I think that made me a little over-confident and I got hit by the test itself. I also emphasized the verbal so I was able to bring that up but my physical suffered as a result.

For this most recent re-write I focussed more so on doing passages, and that really helped bring my score up. I unfortunately ran out of good verbal material (used the EK101 twice, and TPR Verbal twice, and TBR practice exams where I was scoring well, but were far different from the real thing) so I think that's a big reason for the dip in my verbal.

Definitely wont be re-writing again though. Really wish I hit 10 or at least 9 in verbal tho.

Good thing is that, unlike Canadian schools, US schools actually care more about science than verbal (or treat them equally).

You should look into what various schools' MCAT retake policies are. At some schools it will be a huge red flag, but others simply will look at your best or most recent.

Good thing is that, unlike Canadian schools, US schools actually care more about science than verbal (or treat them equally).

You should look into what various schools' MCAT retake policies are. At some schools it will be a huge red flag, but others simply will look at your best or most recent.

I am a multiple MCAT rewriter as well (32 (11, 7, 14), 26 (9, 8, 9) :( fluke?, and 29 (12, 7, 10)). I plan on re-writing for the fourth time this summer and I am afraid that US MD schools will look down on my multiple rewrites. What US MD schools will flag multiple MCAT rewrites?

Archived