Premed 101 Forums

wGPA and french stream applications

Just wondering, would it be worthwhile to apply this year (for the 2014-15 cycle) with a wGPA of 3.81 as IP and in the French stream? i.e. what are my chances vs. the number of other similar applicants? Also, is the entire interview conducted in French, or a specific number of questions?

(Studied in French throughout high school and did my undergrad in Montreal including a research assistantship at UdeM, but have gotten rusty in the past couple of years)

Just wondering, would it be worthwhile to apply this year (for the 2014-15 cycle) with a wGPA of 3.81 as IP and in the French stream? i.e. what are my chances vs. the number of other similar applicants? Also, is the entire interview conducted in French, or a specific number of questions?

(Studied in French throughout high school and did my undergrad in Montreal including a research assistantship at UdeM, but have gotten rusty in the past couple of years)

You'd be better off OOP (neither Ontario nor Quebec)

I would think that a 3.81 is very border line and you would be rolling the dice. Have you bothered writting the MCAT and considered applying broadly to many schools.

Ottawa and Toronto have extreme GPA standards when compared to the norm.

GP

The french stream has a mixture of GPA's. I have heard of people getting in to the french stream with 3.7 GPA. That being said, all the people I know (I'm currently studying at uOttawa) who have gotten interviews at uOttawa French stream have GPA's of 3.95+.

Assuming you are from ontario, you have a chance (3.6 cutoff or something), however if you are OOP and not CNFS the cutoff was 3.89 this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I had pretty much the same wGPA and got an interview this year! I know people with much lower GPAs who got interviews. Many people who were invited & accepted hadn't used their french in a very long time. They will assess you on the content of your answers, not the quality of your french. Good luck!

Archived