Premed 101 Forums

Is my mcat too low for American schools?

fifa

Hey all,

Im applying to both american and canadian schools next year. My gpa is 3.96 (OMSAS scale) and I think I have descent ECs and LORs.

My mcat score is 13 10 10 and I was wondering if you guys think thats too low for American schools and if I should consider rewriting this summer. I'm kinda weak in verbal, so i dont rly know if i can pull another 10 if I rewrite. Realistically I can only improve my bio score.

Thanks for your help :)

Your numbers(GPA and MCAT) are excellent, DO NOT retake the 33. Apply broadly to the USMD schools that you can see yourself attending, and write some good secondaries.

Numbers won't be the issue that keep you back from interviews/acceptances. It will be ECs or interview skills.

Hey all,

Im applying to both american and canadian schools next year. My gpa is 3.96 (OMSAS scale) and I think I have descent ECs and LORs.

My mcat score is 13 10 10 and I was wondering if you guys think thats too low for American schools and if I should consider rewriting this summer. I'm kinda weak in verbal, so i dont rly know if i can pull another 10 if I rewrite. Realistically I can only improve my bio score.

Thanks for your help :)

You will be fine even in Canada, if you are IP in Alberta, your chances for an interview there would be very high.

• 2 weeks later...

The earliest date of submission for primaries is June 3rd.

I understand that if I'm going to do a re-write, I should get it done ASAP to have my hopefully higher score be available for when my application is being assessed. However, given work commitments and time constraints, I'm not sure I'll be able to study for the exam and work on applications (both American and Canadian) in time for my score to be released for June 3rd.

My question is, just how disadvantageous will it be for me to apply with a 32R and have my MCAT score updated later (say...score received in September) on? Will they even look at the newer score?

Archived