Premed 101 Forums

What are the advantages of McMaster Medical School

I'm preparing for my interview and have been going over what makes McMaster a good choice! I would like to hear from some Med students who are currently at Mac and see what they enjoyed the most/least of the program!

Thanks in advance!

1) 3-year program

2) Flexible schedule in pre-clerkship: you can (and most do) a lot of observerships (i.e. spending time shadowing different specialties) or get involved in research projects or master anatomy, etc.

3) Speaking of anatomy, Hamilton may not have a lot of formal anatomy teaching (we have some teaching and regular bell-ringers to test our knowledge) but the profs at the anatomy lab are amazing. You can book a slot of time with a tutor, individually or in a group, to learn whichever anatomy concepts you are having trouble with. You can also access the lab at any time of the day (8 am to 11 pm I think) and study specimens by yourself without a tutor.

4) Hamilton is a large center. We have many major hospitals and pretty much all the specialties you can think of. So setting up observerships or even clerkship electives in the specialty of your choosing is not too difficult.

5) Low cost of living! Rent is cheaper in Hamilton than basically anywhere else in Ontario that has a medical school. Plus there are some really nice places to live in Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Mountain that are away from the "industrial" areas of Hamilton and still very close to the hospitals.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Archived