Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

Just wanted to see what my chances are for Ottawa based on my current stats:

- OOP, graduate (completing 4th UG now)

- GPA = 3.98

- Employment = high level sports coach (3 years), tutor (2 years), grocery store (1 year)

- Extracurriculars = club and varsity athlete (4 years), vocalist (7 years, 1 in university), other sports/clubs

- Volunteer = children's hospital (5 years), international volunteering (1 month), various fundraising activities (4 years), disabled athletes coach (3 years)

- Awards = major university scholarships, major sports and coaching awards, Dean's List, summer research scholarship

- Research = summer cancer research (1 year), Honours thesis, potentially volunteering or working this coming summer/year in another research lab

I applied this year to Ottawa, but I accidentally included a major activity that occurred in high school, which I think took me out of the running for an interview (even though most my activities and my GPA were good enough). I'm taking next year off to volunteer and work more, applying again for the 2014-2015 cycle.

Any advice is truly appreciated. Thanks!

I applied this year to Ottawa, but I accidentally included a major activity that occurred in high school, which I think took me out of the running for an interview (even though most my activities and my GPA were good enough).

Umm, what? Nope.

Including high school activities wouldn't take you out of the running. It wouldn't be evaluated in terms of contributing to your application, as Ottawa looks only at activities that you've done during undergrad but other schools that you apply through OMSAS look at all activities (even high school) so it's not unusual that they'd be included in the application.

Is the 3.98 your weighted GPA or overall? Your application looks good for Ottawa if that's your weighted GPA and I don't think there's anything you can really add, although of course further work and volunteer experience will only help.

Thanks for the reply.

As soon as I posted my earlier message, I realized that I shouldn't have said "out of the running". What I meant was that I listed a high school activity as one of my top 3, which obviously lowered my score since it was not considered (making me think my application may have been disregarded at that point).

3.98 is both my cumulative GPA and WGPA. A few of these activities were not listed in last fall's application, but most were the same (which is why I was confused for not receiving an interview this time). I guess I could phrase my responsibilities and what I've learned a bit better. Hoping this next round of applications is successful!

I am worried now, your gpa is excellent and your ecs are pretty strong!

My ECs are not even half as strong as urs! and my GPA Isnt even as high! :( :(

I think I could have worded my EC descriptions better and possibly chosen a couple different top 3 for certain categories. I know people with similar or maybe worse EC's and lower GPA who got interviews, so definitely don't lose hope (just as I won't for next cycle)!

You have a very good shot my friend. Med school acceptance process is a complete dump. My friend got two interviews can barely form a sentence in english. Ridiculous system that prevents good quality applicants from getting at least an interview. Bogus.

I completely can relate. I still don't understand so many people who are interviewed or accepted into medicine these days. Even if people like myself have to work harder for it, it's just one step in the road to becoming physicians when our true skills will pay off!

Archived