Premed 101 Forums

Retaking MCAT

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a bit and had a few questions I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with. I took the MCAT last year and came out with a 31 (10 P, 10 V, 11 B) and am projecting to finish undergrad with a 3.8+ cGPA *fingers crossed

I'm planning on applying to the states this year and also retaking my MCAT this summer. I was initially planning on writing it in September to give myself more time to study and just using the 31 to apply to the states, but I was probably being naive doing my research yesterday I realized they hold your application if they know you're planning on re-writing your MCAT on a later date, which doesn't bode well if I write my MCAT in September. So I guess my question is, should I plan to write my MCAT in June or July so they'll process my application? But I'm worried that if I rush myself to write it in June I'll get a worse score than 31 which would definitely suck for schools that look at the most recent MCAT score, however on the other hand I realize if I take it in June I'll still have time in September to retake it to apply to Canadian schools.

I hope my rambling made an inkling of sense!

Thanks!

Apply as-is to USMD schools and only retake the MCAT once you are scoring in a higher range. You can submit your AMCAS application and have everything verified in time. Some schools will put you on hold for a pending MCAT which isn't ideal, but not a deal breaker either.

Take the MCAT in July/Aug if you can.

Archived