Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA/What schools should I apply to

As this application cycle comes closer I am getting more and more stressed out. I am a McGill life science student, almost done with my third year, and I messed up my GPA. I am fighting the uphill battle now. Could anyone take a look at my stats?

So the GPA is in Fall/Winter format

3rd 3.56/TBD (but should be good)

2nd 3.30/3.65

1st 3.73/3.0

For now my cGPA is 3.42, I'm trying hard to raise it; having great midterms (all A) so far this semester.

For EC I've volunteered in food-on-wheel program, I've created science experiments for children in summer camp, and I'm doing hospital volunteer now.

I'm writing my MCAT this summer. I feel I don't have a chance in Canada, and although McGill is a great school, frankly I regret coming to McGill a little (I hate myself for not speak French:( , very little opportunities of anything).

Please give me some guidance about the schools I should apply to. I don't mind doing residency in the US, but I hope someday, if possible, that I could come back to Canada to practice.

Thank you all in advance!

You still have this semester, and all of 4th year to increase your GPA. Additionally you can take a 5th special year to be more competitive for UWO, Queens etc.

At this point, don't take the MCAT this summer and take it next summer - after you have aced the remainder of your 3rd year and 4th year. Then, depending on how you do on the MCAT - you can apply broadly to schools in your range.

Different schools have different requirments on how long the old MCAT will last- so since you're not applying this upcoming cycle, don't take the MCAt- unless you just want to give it a practice run. But really your time could be better served boosting your ECs.

From what you listed, your ECs are very, very weak. So stats aren't your biggest problem. Do you have any leadership experience? Research?

You still have this semester, and all of 4th year to increase your GPA. Additionally you can take a 5th special year to be more competitive for UWO, Queens etc.

At this point, don't take the MCAT this summer and take it next summer - after you have aced the remainder of your 3rd year and 4th year. Then, depending on how you do on the MCAT - you can apply broadly to schools in your range.

Different schools have different requirments on how long the old MCAT will last- so since you're not applying this upcoming cycle, don't take the MCAt- unless you just want to give it a practice run. But really your time could be better served boosting your ECs.

From what you listed, your ECs are very, very weak. So stats aren't your biggest problem. Do you have any leadership experience? Research?

I am applying this summer. But you don't think that's a good idea, do you?

And also the change in MCAT is my biggest concern. I don't have sociology or psychology classes, and I prepared for the current MCAT.

Not a good idea, especially as a third year applicant, you shouldn't have low stats. Apply once and make it your best shot, after your fourth year. As for the new mcat, everyone else will be on the same page, not a big deal.

As I said, your ECs are weak too, take the next year and improve them along with your GPA.

Archived