Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting the MCAT vs. Applying Early

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My GPA is 3.94 and my MCAT score is 31 (11/9/11) and I'm going to be applying to medical schools this year. I've heard that applying early is KEY, so I'm setting that up as a priority. However, I'm skeptical about my chances because of that 9 on verbal reasoning. As such, I'm scheduled for an MCAT on June 21st. My extracurriculars are decent so I'm not too worried about that.

As I see it, there are two options:

1) CANCEL my MCAT and just apply as early as possible (June)

OR

2) Rewrite my MCAT, still apply in June and wait for my scores to be released before having my application fully processed by AMCAS. This means that my application will technically be finished up around July 21st since that's when I get my scores back.

Given my circumstances, what would be the better option?

Thank you!

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My GPA is 3.94 and my MCAT score is 31 (11/9/11) and I'm going to be applying to medical schools this year. I've heard that applying early is KEY, so I'm setting that up as a priority. However, I'm skeptical about my chances because of that 9 on verbal reasoning. As such, I'm scheduled for an MCAT on June 21st. My extracurriculars are decent so I'm not too worried about that.

OR

2) Rewrite my MCAT, still apply in June and wait for my scores to be released before having my application fully processed by AMCAS. This means that my application will technically be finished up around July 21st since that's when I get my scores back.

Thank you!

I am going with option 2. I am taking MCAT on Aug 27. I think submitting early without MCAT would still make a difference.

I am going with option 2. I am taking MCAT on Aug 27. I think submitting early without MCAT would still make a difference.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you saying I should go for option 2, or are you saying that's what you're doing? Because your last sentence says submitting early without the MCAT would still make a difference.

Hey everyone,

OR

Thank you!

I would personally rewrite your mcat and aim for a 33 (11,11,11). this not only improves your chances for the states but also allows you to apply broadly in Canada.

If you only want to apply to the states, i would still rewrite but submit your primary without your mcat (tell them you're rewriting) in june. note that it will take amcas about 4-6 weeks to verify your transcript etc... so submitting in July might mean getting secondaries back in september, which is late...

you have to make the judgement call.

I would personally rewrite your mcat and aim for a 33 (11,11,11). this not only improves your chances for the states but also allows you to apply broadly in Canada.

If you only want to apply to the states, i would still rewrite but submit your primary without your mcat (tell them you're rewriting) in june. note that it will take amcas about 4-6 weeks to verify your transcript etc... so submitting in July might mean getting secondaries back in september, which is late...

you have to make the judgement call.

That's exactly my dilemma. I personally feel that my MCAT score will improve for various personal reasons (no distractions this summer, better work ethic/intrinsic motivation, lessons learned from my previous MCAT, etc.). However, I have to weigh a higher MCAT score against getting my secondaries late, that's why I was hoping for a couple opinions (thanks for yours!).

For technical questions like this about the verification process you're better off consulting SDN. I think if you submit your primary app in June your transcript will be verified regardless of whether you are rewriting, which effectively gets you the best of both worlds. I would still consult SDN to be sure though.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you saying I should go for option 2, or are you saying that's what you're doing? Because your last sentence says submitting early without the MCAT would still make a difference.

Yes, I think thats what you should do. I am doing the same thing. Submitting application without MCAT scores available would still matter in terms of application processing.

For technical questions like this about the verification process you're better off consulting SDN. I think if you submit your primary app in June your transcript will be verified regardless of whether you are rewriting, which effectively gets you the best of both worlds. I would still consult SDN to be sure though.

If that's the case, you're right about rewriting it because as you said I'd be getting the best of both worlds. Undoubtedly applying in June WITHOUT rewriting my MCAT would put me earlier in the application process, but I guess what I want to know is if a finalized app (processed and everything) in July is still considered "early" by rolling admissions standards. If so, then I think rewriting is the best option.

An application that's complete in July is fine. IIRC, some schools like Northwestern and Wayne didn't send out secondary applications until August. Also, you'll have about 3 weeks to pre-write secondaries so you should be able to get most of your apps in before August.

Archived