Premed 101 Forums

Do pre-requistes have to be completed before application?

AS22

I was looking into US schools and noticed most required a year of physics and english. Do the prerequisites have to be completed at the time of submitting an application or is it ok if they are currently being done/will be completed by the end of the last undergraduate year before entering medical school?

Also, are there any US schools that don't require physics and english?

Thanks in advance

You can take prereqs during the year and it's fine for the most part. You should however check with individual schools. Most schools will have a physics requirement but not a strict English requirement. Some will require writing intensive courses not English per say.

Just to be sure I would look at each schools policy as well as emailing the admissions with the course description if you're unsure.

I was looking into US schools and noticed most required a year of physics and english. Do the prerequisites have to be completed at the time of submitting an application or is it ok if they are currently being done/will be completed by the end of the last undergraduate year before entering medical school?

Also, are there any US schools that don't require physics and english?

Thanks in advance

No, prerequisite courses just need to be finished by the time you matriculate. That means you don't have to have them already finished by the time you apply, you can be taking them during your application cycle as long as you will get those credits before your anticipated entry date.

To answer your second question, it really depends. I'm sure there are schools that don't require physics and english, but most do. Consult the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) to verify the prereqs for the schools you're applying to. I found MSAR to be very helpful when I was applying.

Thanks to you both!

@abelign, so AMCAS system wouldn't exclude me from a certain school if I don't have the prereqs completed at the time/am doing them at the time of application? so when exactly do they check prereqs and how would my gpa be calculated if I didn't have a prereq completed, because aren't the prereqs required to be included in the gpa calculation?

Thanks to you both!

@abelign, so AMCAS system wouldn't exclude me from a certain school if I don't have the prereqs completed at the time/am doing them at the time of application? so when exactly do they check prereqs and how would my gpa be calculated if I didn't have a prereq completed, because aren't the prereqs required to be included in the gpa calculation?

You have to include courses that you plan to take in the initial AMCAS application as well (you just leave the grade portion blank). I don't believe AMCAS calculates pre-req GPA.

However, some schools may require you to enter courses directly into their secondary application if they want to look at your pre-req GPA. Hope that help!

You have to include courses that you plan to take in the initial AMCAS application as well (you just leave the grade portion blank). I don't believe AMCAS calculates pre-req GPA.

However, some schools may require you to enter courses directly into their secondary application if they want to look at your pre-req GPA. Hope that help!

Yes, thank you!

So, for instance, would it be possible for me to apply this fall for september 2015 and do a prerequisite course in summer 2015? would that be acceptable or do I have to complete it in the fall/winter term?

Yes, thank you!

So, for instance, would it be possible for me to apply this fall for september 2015 and do a prerequisite course in summer 2015? would that be acceptable or do I have to complete it in the fall/winter term?

No, you can't finish the pre-reqs during the summer before matriculation. You usually have to have it done by April 30th(or whenever term 2 ends during the regular school year).

advair250 thank you for your reply!

I have so many things on my plate right now I can't complete the pre-requsite but really need acceptance to an american medical school. I hope I can apply and does not put me at a disadvantage without English and a lab component of physical chemistry.

This makes sense but I think zman couple posts above said that on AAMC when you apply you can indicate that you plan to take it in the summer/fall essentially get it done by April before your matriculating year.

But what your saying is when the individual schools get the application they can simply disregard your application entirely since you are in the process of taking the pre-reqs or plan to take them before matriculating.

As an applicant where do you find the schools that disregard the application if you don't have pre-req completed before applying? I've looked on MSAR they just list whether the pre-req is needed not whether you need to get it done before applying.

Just to clarify, I intend to take it lets say in the fall does it look worse than if I am taking it now during the summer?

I assumed no since I will have it done before starting medical school. Also I already graduated with HBSc, the GPA from the courses I complete now i.e. the english and chem will not have any meaningful impact on my GPA. The only reason to take them will be to satisfy the medical school pre-req.

Archived