Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply to these schools?

Hi,

Graduate from Queen's U Engineering.

AMCAS GPA: 3.71 (sGPA is about the same)

MCAT: 11PS 11VR 11BS (33 Total)

ECs: Long-term volunteering at a hospital, exec committee for volunteering group, ran an engineering competition, involved with Engineers Without Borders, TA for a few courses, summer clinical research experience (where I've now been working for the past year, but no longer in a research capacity), won a startup competition and involved with Google's NEXT program, and a ton of software/development experience.

I'm planning to apply to:

University of Utah

Michigan State University

University of Hawaii

University of Kentucky

Pennsylvania State

Oakland University

Wayne State

Georgetown University

Loma Linda University

University of Minnesota

Virginia Commonwealth

New York Medical College

Saint Louis University

Should I aim higher or am I just competitive enough for these schools?

Ok, good. That's the strategy I was looking to hit. I did get the MSAR, but I only have the data from the classes entering 2013 and 2012--a small sample. Interestingly enough, most of the schools I listed earlier have have interview rates for internationals of at least 10% (except MSU, Virginia, and NYMC, which have <7%; I don't know why MSU is always recommended for Canadian USMD hopefuls, they have a terrible interview rate for international students...).

The MSAR doesn't differentiate Canadian data from international data, so I was wondering if any one had any further insight? A school with a low international interview rate could actually be very Canadian-friendly, and so only interviews from the Canadian pool? Maybe I'm just being hopeful :P

Bearded frog, where did you apply?

Hi,

Graduate from Queen's U Engineering.

AMCAS GPA: 3.71 (sGPA is about the same)

MCAT: 11PS 11VR 11BS (33 Total)

ECs: Long-term volunteering at a hospital, exec committee for volunteering group, ran an engineering competition, involved with Engineers Without Borders, TA for a few courses, summer clinical research experience (where I've now been working for the past year, but no longer in a research capacity), won a startup competition and involved with Google's NEXT program, and a ton of software/development experience.

I'm planning to apply to:

University of Utah

Michigan State University

University of Hawaii

University of Kentucky

Pennsylvania State

Oakland University

Wayne State

Georgetown University

Loma Linda University

University of Minnesota

Virginia Commonwealth

New York Medical College

Saint Louis University

Should I aim higher or am I just competitive enough for these schools?

never heard of anyone get into those schools...might wanna check on penn state and uni minn...i think they want connections to area

do a better search for schools

ur missing several ny ones, pa ones

several in tenn, william beaumont,

Archived