Premed 101 Forums

Applying with four mcat rewrites?

I am rewriting the mcat for the fourth time (first score (P/V/B): 11, 7, 14, 2nd (while working full time in lab + volunteering): 9,8,9 and third time (while working in a lab and working in clinical research full time): 12, 7, 10. GPA is 3.90 for the US, around 3.90 for basic science. I plan on rewriting for the fourth time this summer (I plan to focus on it full time plus some research volunteering on the side).

Even though I have low mcat scores, I managed to get 3 publications during the time of my rewrites (one first author in a lab). In total, I will have 7 publications (two first author) + many conference abstracts by the end of this summer.

I have other e/cs as well (i.e. volunteering, student clubs, + starting a 1 year masters this september in clinical epidemiology).

I don't have a co-signer or any financial help! but should I apply to US MD schools given my mcat scores/multiple rewrites and lack of financial aid? (I know apps come out tomorrow). If I do MD/PHD, would they overlook my mcat scores/multiple rewrites?

Thank you for your guidance.

I think that writing a 4th time will pose as a red flag for some schools. Whether or not it will preclude you from going to med school, no one will know for certain. If medicine is what you're passionate about, then write the mcat again and apply to the states... and see what happens. I would skip the research and focus 100% on studying since the mcat is changing and you don't want to keep getting sub-10 in VR.

Note that you need to write the usmle before residency apps in the US and mcat scores are suppose to be predictive of step scores. Bad step score = less competitive specialities or not matching. Schools like washU care a lot about the mcat for that reason... they want good match rates into competitive specialities.

Stop taking the MCAT when you have other things going on, bad judgment to do that twice after the first attempt.

But that is in the past. For the 4th and final time, knock it out of the park, and don't go in risking it.

Your GPA, research and ECS are all VERY strong. Do well in the masters and that will also help.

But please, focus on the MCAT and do well in it without doing it on a whim while distracted with other things. If you do well on it, you're fine and will get into a USMD when you apply.

Archived