Premed 101 Forums

Application question: filling out coursework section- courses with labs?

There is a section where you can check off if a course had a lab.

What counts as a lab? I know at my university some courses had "official" labs and those courses count for 4 credits instead of 3.

However, there were also quite a few courses (ecology, math, physics, for examples) with labs that didn't count for extra credits.

Do those ones still count as lectures with labs?

Unless it was a formal lab, that met 3 hours per week, and had lab assignments and experiments(like physics), then it doesn't count. Thinks like tutorials, or informal problem sessions don't count.

Correct. It should be formal labs, not tutorials. Make sure to include "and Lab" in the course title when you enter it in on AMCAS

The credits you put are exactly what it says on your transcript. Don't change it or your processing time will be slowed down alot. 0.5 credit(1 term course) is 3 credit units and 1.0 (2 half terms or 1 yearlong) is 6.0 credits.

Do not alter your credits.

Do we count those as 3 or 6 credit hours then? I'm at UofA and we don't do the whole 0.5 vs. 1.0 credit thing (like Ontario I think?) It's usually 3 hour lecture and 3 hour lab per semester.

Count it as the credit number that comes up on your transcript...(that's what AMCAS told me when I emailed them last year re this exact same question) However, still have a detailed look through the application manual to confirm. If you're still unsure, email AMCAS directly so that you have something in writing.

Archived