Premed 101 Forums

Car in First Year

I live "on the mountain" in the suburbs and so for me buying a car was a must (ps if anyone is thinking about renting/buying on the mountain, it has been no problem and I can be on campus in 20ish minutes). Most students live closer to campus and many manage without cars in pre-clerkship.

I think it's pretty difficult to go without a car for clerkship though so you'll probably need one eventually and it is really nice for setting up horizontals to be able to get anywhere and not have to worry about finding a ride or taking the bus.

Hope that helps!

I live "on the mountain" in the suburbs and so for me buying a car was a must (ps if anyone is thinking about renting/buying on the mountain, it has been no problem and I can be on campus in 20ish minutes). Most students live closer to campus and many manage without cars in pre-clerkship.

I think it's pretty difficult to go without a car for clerkship though so you'll probably need one eventually and it is really nice for setting up horizontals to be able to get anywhere and not have to worry about finding a ride or taking the bus.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for the reply! I'll be staying close to campus -- does anyone who has lived close to campus have experiences to share re. cars?

Also, for first year, is the majority of time spent at campus, or in the various hospitals downtown. Trying to decide which location to stay at.

Thanks!

GG

Thank you very much for the reply! I'll be staying close to campus -- does anyone who has lived close to campus have experiences to share re. cars?

Also, for first year, is the majority of time spent at campus, or in the various hospitals downtown. Trying to decide which location to stay at.

Thanks!

GG

It's variable and changes every 2-3 months but I would say campus is generally a bigger fraction.

Lectures, Procomp (a weekly 3 hour session) and anatomy will always be on campus

Tutorials and clinical skills can be on campus but they can also be at other hospitals. The groups change every 2-3 months and the locations can change as well.

I know people who are happy with either campus or DT and there is no single "sweet spot" to live

Yay or nay? I know a car is practically a necessity starting clerkship, but is having one recommended for first year as well?

It's useful to have but not necessary. Maybe try doing without it for a couple of months and get one if you need to?

Archived