Premed 101 Forums

First time US applicant after two years of Ontario Med Hell

Hey guys!

So this will be my first time applying to the US and I was just wondering if you guys could give me a few tips on where to start. I am on the waitlist for Western right now but I am not holding my breath.

I know that I should apply early (june) since the schools are rolling admission.

My only reservation is that my cumulative GPA is just barely competitive due to my lackluster first year but have had an amazing upward trend thus far.

cGPA - 3.69

(first year I had around a 2.8 gpa, but then skyrocketed to around 3.91-3.93 for the last three years.)

MCAT 34O (12BS, 11VR, 11PS)

Graduated BsC 2013 (last year) - Have been volunteering and working since.

EC - slightly above avg, only thing I feel like I am lacking in is research as I have only volunteered in a lab for 2 years during my undergrad.

I am thinking of applying to wayne state since one of my friends is going there this coming year but other then that I don't know where to begin.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

you will still be competitive with your mcat being strong - apply very early and as widely as possible - aside from the top top us schools - apply every where else that accepts canadian students - the weird thing about the u.s. schools is that there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason- sometimes a way higher ranked school will accept you and a lower one won't. there are all kinds of lists here on premed 101 that tell you who accepts canadians - you have a good chance to get interviews! many people I know never even got interviews here and ended up with several in the states. good luck!

Archived