Premed 101 Forums

Vaccinations

I just did my blood-work and it seems that I'm not immune to HepB. I had though that I had been vaccinated as a child, but it doesn't show it in my records, and in either case I'm not immune.

Given that the primary series takes 6 months (0, 1, 6), I clearly would not finish it in time before the deadline for submitting immunization information to the school (Aug 1st). Do you guys think it would be an issue if I only get the first two injections done by then? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks.

Steps to take.

1. Start the immunization series

2. Let the school know that you are not immune but have started the series.

3. You'll probably be given probationary clearance after your second set of shots but will be pulled out of clinic work should you fail to finish the series.

Don't stress over this. Your not going to get your spot rescinded. Worst case scenario is that you won't be able to do clinical work until they are up to date.

Steps to take.

1. Start the immunization series

2. Let the school know that you are not immune but have started the series.

3. You'll probably be given probationary clearance after your second set of shots but will be pulled out of clinic work should you fail to finish the series.

Don't stress over this. Your not going to get your spot rescinded. Worst case scenario is that you won't be able to do clinical work until they are up to date.

Thanks! |||||||||||

I just did my blood-work and it seems that I'm not immune to HepB. I had though that I had been vaccinated as a child, but it doesn't show it in my records, and in either case I'm not immune.

Given that the primary series takes 6 months (0, 1, 6), I clearly would not finish it in time before the deadline for submitting immunization information to the school (Aug 1st). Do you guys think it would be an issue if I only get the first two injections done by then? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks.

If it's just Hep B then you can go on the accelerated series of 0, 7days, 21days. Ask your health provider first tho.

If it's just Hep B then you can go on the accelerated series of 0, 7days, 21days. Ask your health provider first tho.

That works for me it seems. The thing is, the form says that until I get my booster one year later (standard part of the accelerated dosage), I have provisional clearance from McMaster. What does that entail? Is it that I'm not allowed in clinic, or that I just have to make sure I complete the series?

The reason I'm asking is that the non-accelerated series would be complete in overall 6 months, and therefore I would be 'on probation' for not as long.

There should be a contact person on the forms - I'm thinking it's still Gillian? E-mail her and ask - she's really nice and super helpful, and she'll be the only one who can give you information with 100% certainty as far as which series you should get and what restrictions there might be. If you don't have her contact info, PM me and I can look it up for you.

There should be a contact person on the forms - I'm thinking it's still Gillian? E-mail her and ask - she's really nice and super helpful, and she'll be the only one who can give you information with 100% certainty as far as which series you should get and what restrictions there might be. If you don't have her contact info, PM me and I can look it up for you.

It's on the form. Thanks for the advice!

Archived