Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on selected schools?

My chances in Canada are not the best, applying for the US this round.

My stats-

cGPA: 3.84, MSc GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 13/9/11Q (Sept 2011), 12/10/10 (Sept 2012)

Going to my second year MSc at UT, Asian, Canadian citizen

-Research (thesis projects, 2 summer internships, 2 international conferences, one submitted pub (4th author), 3 abstracts)

-Clinical (4 years hospital volunteering, 2 shadowing exposures)

-Employment (Navy Reserves, did an international operation, received a medal :P )

-ECs (band, student association exec x2, etc.)

-Mentoring (mentoring undergrads, mentoring researchers in lab)

I have ~30 schools on my list, I would like to shorten it down....which ones should I cut out?

Central Michigan

Michigan State

George Washington

Linda Loma

Oakland

Penn State

Virginia Common Wealth

Rosalind Franklin

Georgetown

Jefferson

Kentucky

Wayne State

NYMC

Hawaii U

Minnesota

Conneticut U

Illinois U

Albert Einstein

Saint Louis U

SUNY Upstaate

Maryland

Brown

Tulane

Mayo Clinic

Boston University

Case Western

Dartmouth

New York U

North Carolina

.....thanks! :)

Unfortunately my MSAR subscription has expired so I can't check myself, but I'm not sure if Minnesota, Connecticut, Illinois and North Carolina are Canadian friendly. Also, you should contact Mayo to confirm this but I believe as if this past cycle they have stopped accepting internationals. Brown is a bad idea because a majority of their class comes from their direct-entry program, so very few seats are available.

I'm in a similar situation (with ~15 schools). If you haven't already, check out their requirements. If you're like me and used AP/IB credit to satisfy required courses, a lot of schools won't even consider you.

Other than the stickies in this forum, I found this website to be helpful: http://medical-schools.findthebest.com/

Search up the schools in your list and check out the pie charts for those enrolled. If there's no blue (ie International), you should cross that school off the list?

I'm in a similar situation (with ~15 schools). If you haven't already, check out their requirements. If you're like me and used AP/IB credit to satisfy required courses, a lot of schools won't even consider you.

Other than the stickies in this forum, I found this website to be helpful: http://medical-schools.findthebest.com/

Search up the schools in your list and check out the pie charts for those enrolled. If there's no blue (ie International), you should cross that school off the list?

So in MSAR if they don't accept AP credit, is it safe to assume they won't accept IB credit too? Or should I try to seek this information out?

Thanks!

So in MSAR if they don't accept AP credit, is it safe to assume they won't accept IB credit too? Or should I try to seek this information out?

Thanks!

I would say it's best to contact them to be sure. Be careful of the calling fees though.

Unfortunately my MSAR subscription has expired so I can't check myself, but I'm not sure if Minnesota, Connecticut, Illinois and North Carolina are Canadian friendly. Also, you should contact Mayo to confirm this but I believe as if this past cycle they have stopped accepting internationals. Brown is a bad idea because a majority of their class comes from their direct-entry program, so very few seats are available.

I agree.

Mayo and Brown will be tough

Remove Loma Linda as well

Archived