Premed 101 Forums

Chances in US MD?

Hello,

I've applied twice within Ontario and didn't get any interviews, so I'm looking into schools in the US.

I'm debating whether I would go to the US for a low-tier school, though, because it is a big sacrifice (expensive, and far).

What schools do you think I have a chance with?

My stats:

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: PS/VR/BS = 13/10/10 (retook once)

ECs: 200 hours hospital volunteering and retirement home, 2 summers research (no pubs), president of club, some sports, summer job since high school, community volunteering, several awards for high academics

I should also note that I did not take a full year of English. I was thinking Dartmouth, Georgetown, Northwestern, etc...but these might be out of reach.

Thanks!

Hello,

I've applied twice within Ontario and didn't get any interviews, so I'm looking into schools in the US.

I'm debating whether I would go to the US for a low-tier school, though, because it is a big sacrifice (expensive, and far).

My stats:

ECs: 200 hours hospital volunteering and retirement home, 2 summers research (no pubs), president of club, some sports, summer job since high school, community volunteering, several awards for high academics

I should also note that I did not take a full year of English. I was thinking Dartmouth, Georgetown, Northwestern, etc...but these might be out of reach.

Thanks!

You will get interviews in the US at MD schools and I think you have a very good application. I am surprised you didn't get any interviews from Ontario schools; was there something wrong with your letters or PS? Any other red flags?

You will get interviews in the US at MD schools and I think you have a very good application. I am surprised you didn't get any interviews from Ontario schools; was there something wrong with your letters or PS? Any other red flags?

Thanks for your response!

I don't know of any red flags and I'm pretty sure my letters were good. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with Ontario schools for a while. :( I really don't want to move to the States!

Do you think I have a shot at schools like Northwestern and Dartmouth?

I am considering not applying to lower tier schools this year but I'm not sure that's very smart.

Hello,

My stats:

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd reapply from coast to coast in Canada. You should be able to land something somewhere with those stats....I would be very surprised if you don't get into Canada.

If I were you, I'd reapply from coast to coast in Canada. You should be able to land something somewhere with those stats....I would be very surprised if you don't get into Canada.

I didn't take english, though. so that rules out UBC and Alberta, and calgary and UWO are out because of VR. :/

All US schools require English, so take it and then apply to ubc and Alberta also.

I agree.

I'm surprised you wouldn't have any interviews with that GPA. MCAT tends to be more important in the states than Canada, so I'd say mid-tier schools would be a good choice. Higher ranked schools like Northwestern may be out of reach, but you never know, you could get some bites.

Thanks for your response!

I don't know of any red flags and I'm pretty sure my letters were good. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with Ontario schools for a while. :( I really don't want to move to the States!

Do you think I have a shot at schools like Northwestern and Dartmouth?

I am considering not applying to lower tier schools this year but I'm not sure that's very smart.

I think you have a shot at those schools, but I would recommend adding mid-low tier schools, especially the Canadian friendly ones to your list.

The reason I asked about your PS/letters was because they may become an issue in the US if they were an issue in Canada. But if you're confident they were good, then you have nothing to worry about.

You may just be one of those unlucky applicants that, despite having all the right credentials, don't get any love from Canada.

I know this question has been asked, but I still don't get it. How do I tell which school is mid-tier, compared to low-tier? I know the top tier ones just by name, but all the others I've never heard of.

Any suggestions which schools to add?

And thank you so much everyone for your responses!

• 3 weeks later...
I know this question has been asked, but I still don't get it. How do I tell which school is mid-tier, compared to low-tier? I know the top tier ones just by name, but all the others I've never heard of.

Any suggestions which schools to add?

And thank you so much everyone for your responses!

There's a LizzyM document floating around somewhere which is an Excel file that lists all the US allopathic schools and stats...use that as your guide.

Archived