Premed 101 Forums

References question

I'm planning on applying to Mac this year and I'm trying to decide who to use for my references. I have one person in mind who could potentially be a strong reference, but I hesitate to ask her because she spends pretty much all of January-April every year travelling to remote areas and is rarely accessible by a consistent phone number.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, does anyone know if McMaster actually contacts references by telephone? What would they do in the event that a reference can't be reached by phone?

Thanks!

Wendy said they did and just use it as a red flag. As long as your reference letter doesn't say "No, I would absolutely not trust Sarvish to become a doctor.", you should be OK.

Isn't it illegal(?) or somehow wrong for references to say that kind of stuff about you? Granted, this is all hearsay from friends, but I remember there being something against saying, "no, I wouldn't trust applicant x" outright?

Isn't it illegal(?) or somehow wrong for references to say that kind of stuff about you? Granted, this is all hearsay from friends, but I remember there being something against saying, "no, I wouldn't trust applicant x" outright?

Lol isn't that one of the main points of a reference? To check if other people trust the applicant. I don't think it would be illegal, it's just the person's assessment of the applicant.

^ +1. It's definitely not illegal.

In fact, the courts tend to judge in favor of protecting the integrity of all peer evaluation processes and their materials, at the expense of whatever individual feels they were wrongly described. Reference letters are supposed to be kept in confidence for this very reason... to protect the integrity of their contents, with the overall goal of [more] objectively evaluating a candidate.

I've heard something similar about when applying to jobs. I don't know if it's not allowed or just heavily frowned upon but your old boss isn't supposed to complain about you.

I think it is "frowned upon" in the sense that someone should just decline being a reference if they really don't think they can provide a good or well-informed opinion. However, it is true that the point is to get a real idea of what each candidate is like.

I know one girl who was using an old boss as a reference for work applications and couldn't get any job even though she was getting interviews that she felt went well... she kept asking for feedback and eventually one of the people who interviewed her told her it was because her reference said she was awful and would not be a good worker at all.

definitely happened to me as well. I had a less than positive relatinonship with my old boss, but the work was on my resume . My next interviewer demanded to contact her before hiring me. In the end, I never heard back from the employer so I assumed it wasn't a good reference.

I recently had a high school intern working for me who was very dedicated but rather terrible at the work he was supposed to be doing. He needed a reference letter as part of his co-op program, so all I did was list the dates he'd worked and the projects he completed. If he ever asks for another kind of reference I would probably tell him to look elsewhere first. Folks must hold a lot of grudges if they can't be open about providing a bad reference.

Archived