Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Prerequisites, MCAT and other things

McMaster only looks at the Verbal Reasoning portion of the MCAT and they don't require any specific prerequisite courses. Out of curiosity, does this theoretically mean, that someone who never bothered with physics/chemistry courses in university but only took life sciences courses could get in?

If so, how would this person become a good physician? Because I've been looking at prerequisite course requirements for some Canadian med schools and some don't require the MCAT/specific prerequisite courses. Why is this? Would the student be taught everything they would need to know in the first/second year of med school?

It doesn't really make much sense to me.

This criticism must lead you to criticize other schools where the MCAT isn't required such as Ottawa or NOSM. Are these schools any less qualified than MCAT schools? if yes, what is the score that should be the "standard" .. The threshold score itself is highly variable based on school and geographical status.

Furthermore, the MCAT is changing now to feature more socioeconomic realities of medical practice which the previous MCAT ignored.

If you view the MCAT as a standard which all students should meet then you are missing the point of the test. The test itself should be representative of the realities and demands of the profession-- not the other way around.

This criticism must lead you to criticize other schools where the MCAT isn't required such as Ottawa or NOSM. Are these schools any less qualified than MCAT schools? if yes, what is the score that should be the "standard" .. The threshold score itself is highly variable based on school and geographical status.

Furthermore, the MCAT is changing now to feature more socioeconomic realities of medical practice which the previous MCAT ignored.

If you view the MCAT as a standard which all students should meet then you are missing the point of the test. The test itself should be representative of the realities and demands of the profession-- not the other way around.

What about prerequisites though? You never addressed the question I had about that. If someone doesn't take for instance general/organic/bio chemistry but took a significant amount of life sciences courses, would they be able to become a good, knowledgeable physician? Because some schools such as Queens, McMaster and NOSM, there are no specific prereqs required. I'm only curious. I thought there was an expectation for first year medical students to be very competent with chemistry, that's why I ask.

I wrote the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT but not the other sections, and I've never taken a university-level chemistry, biology, or physics course. Still, I'm starting at McMaster this fall, and I'm sure there will be others who have similar stories. I'm hoping we'll make good physicians, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Med schools do teach you everything you need to know in your pre-clinical years. There might be topics that will be a bit harder for people who don't have the background, but you're not expected to know the material going in.

Med schools do teach you everything you need to know in your pre-clinical years. There might be topics that will be a bit harder for people who don't have the background, but you're not expected to know the material going in.

That's interesting, thanks.

I wrote the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT but not the other sections, and I've never taken a university-level chemistry, biology, or physics course. Still, I'm starting at McMaster this fall, and I'm sure there will be others who have similar stories. I'm hoping we'll make good physicians, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

:o :o :o Really?? Not even basic first year Bio? I was thinking of not applying before I got some sciences done because though Mac says they dont have any pre-requisites...i thought maybe they would be like ok this girl doesn't even know what a cell looks like or the basics of chem...maybe she should show more initiative... :P

So you legit took NO science courses and got accepted?!

McMaster has 3 components to securing an interview: 32% CASPer (computerized test), 32% cumulative GPA and 32% verbal reasoning - the remaining 4% is allotted for graduate degree holders. No prerequisite courses necessary. I have heard from people that if you don't have a scientific background it's a little more challenging at first, but everyone is pretty much on par going into clerkship.

Archived