Premed 101 Forums

School List Help

Great stats for the states - if you have the ECs to back that up, and want to spare the money, I don't think you would need to apply to that many schools. However if you have the money go for it!

I would look into how many intl/Canadian students these schools actually accept:

Central Michigan University College of Medicine,

UMD

Wisconsin

...to see if its worth while to apply. I would take them off the list and maybe throw VCU on.

Otherwise I think you have a good mix of schools. Mayos a wild card, might be worth it to throw on there.

I would definitely add VCU on. I was accepted this year, and I was honestly in love with the school and city. If it was the same cost as Canadian schools, I hands down would have gone there. I also got into Wayne, and even if that school wasn't in Detroit, there is no way I could have gone there...I would have regretted that decision until the day I die I think. But yes, definitely add VCU, I might even try and swing a neurosurgery elective down there because the school was just so awesome...and Richmond is probably my second favourite city in North America now.

I would definitely add VCU on. I was accepted this year, and I was honestly in love with the school and city. If it was the same cost as Canadian schools, I hands down would have gone there. I also got into Wayne, and even if that school wasn't in Detroit, there is no way I could have gone there...I would have regretted that decision until the day I die I think. But yes, definitely add VCU, I might even try and swing a neurosurgery elective down there because the school was just so awesome...and Richmond is probably my second favourite city in North America now.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Wayne. I'm going there this year and I think it's a great place to learn medicine.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Wayne. I'm going there this year and I think it's a great place to learn medicine.

The huge class size, basically zero small group work, and the only clinically related skill you learn in first year was how to interview a patient. Compare it to other US schools and every school in Canada, that is ridiculous. I personally didn't want to learn all of my basic sciences from home because essentially nobody goes to lecture, their main lecture hall looked like a dungeon and when I asked how much time I would have for "shadowing" in my first year, I was told basically zero. I also heard from the students that the class material itself does little to prepare you for step 1. I wasn't so sure how much I didn't want to go to Wayne until I interviewed at VCU, where the tution is less, class size is smaller, curriculum more up to date and the facilities were actually breathtaking. I decided after interviewing at VCU, that if Wayne was the only place I got into this year, I wouldn't go..

I don't want to say you are going to have an awful experience there, maybe this school is the right fit for you, but for me it wasn't. I hope you have an awesome 4 years there, and it takes you where you want to be!

The huge class size, basically zero small group work, and the only clinically related skill you learn in first year was how to interview a patient. Compare it to other US schools and every school in Canada, that is ridiculous. I personally didn't want to learn all of my basic sciences from home because essentially nobody goes to lecture, their main lecture hall looked like a dungeon and when I asked how much time I would have for "shadowing" in my first year, I was told basically zero. I also heard from the students that the class material itself does little to prepare you for step 1. I wasn't so sure how much I didn't want to go to Wayne until I interviewed at VCU, where the tution is less, class size is smaller, curriculum more up to date and the facilities were actually breathtaking. I decided after interviewing at VCU, that if Wayne was the only place I got into this year, I wouldn't go..

I don't want to say you are going to have an awful experience there, maybe this school is the right fit for you, but for me it wasn't. I hope you have an awesome 4 years there, and it takes you where you want to be!

To offer another POV, I also interviewed and was accepted at Wayne. I thought it wasn't too bad, and would have gone if I didn't get into a cheaper school.

Most med students don't go to class anyways, and it is way more effective to study on your own at 2x the speed of recorded lectures.

Step 1 studying is also on you, it is nice if curriculum doesn't include extra details, but if you wan't an education that is geared only towards the board, then head to the carribean lol.

I also didn't care that Wayne looked a bit older, a few of the other schools I interviewed at did also. You're going to be studying, not looking at how nice the room is. I personally will spend most time at the library or at home studying, and spending my free time outdoors doing fun things.

Just a different POV. Wayne is still a fine school, and you will get your MD and be set up for residency.

Everyone is different, so that is why it is important for interviews to check out the school and ask many questions to see what you like and don't like.

I agree with advair, except for the part where studying on you own at home with video being better...just personal learning styles. Med school is stressful, so for me the environment that I go to school is important, and I could see that living in Detroit and going to wayne would increase my likelihood for burnout. Just need to consider everything when you go to an interview, and once you compare one school to another, you will start to see huge differences.

I agree with advair, except for the part where studying on you own at home with video being better...just personal learning styles. Med school is stressful, so for me the environment that I go to school is important, and I could see that living in Detroit and going to wayne would increase my likelihood for burnout. Just need to consider everything when you go to an interview, and once you compare one school to another, you will start to see huge differences.

Sage advice!

Appreciate it guys! Another question: why the hell do so many people apply to George Washington, Boston U, New York Medical College, and Georgetown?

I think most people apply to them because they are awesome schools , but you don't have to be a super star to get in. They are safety school for superstars, reach schools for the below average, and they are good to have on the list for everyone in between. Also they don't care which state your from, or if you are Canadian. I applied to 3 of those, and got into 1 of them. I had a 3.79 and a 33. I also have no shadowing or research.

I think most people apply to them because they are awesome schools , but you don't have to be a super star to get in. They are safety school for superstars, reach schools for the below average, and they are good to have on the list for everyone in between. Also they don't care which state your from, or if you are Canadian. I applied to 3 of those, and got into 1 of them. I had a 3.79 and a 33. I also have no shadowing or research.

Thanks man! That's really reassuring.

Archived