Premed 101 Forums

Just do an extra year to redo poor pre-reqs or do a second degree?

sj12

Hey guys I'm just looking into getting some insight regarding what I should do to make myself more competitive when applying to DO schools. My situation is something like this:

I recently graduated from a four year program. During the first two years of UG I struggled (due to various reasons) and basically had a GPA of 2.7. Unfortunately, these were the years when I took my basic science courses and didn't do so well in them (Getting C's, C-'s and D's). My last two years of UG were different and I did well having a GPA of 3.7-3.8.

My question is, should I go back to school for one more year and redo my pre-reqs or should I just do a second degree and apply after? Basically does anyone know how American schools or DO schools look at repeated courses? And what would you do if you were in my situation?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Hey guys I'm just looking into getting some insight regarding what I should do to make myself more competitive when applying to DO schools. My situation is something like this:

I recently graduated from a four year program. During the first two years of UG I struggled (due to various reasons) and basically had a GPA of 2.7. Unfortunately, these were the years when I took my basic science courses and didn't do so well in them (Getting C's, C-'s and D's). My last two years of UG were different and I did well having a GPA of 3.7-3.8.

My question is, should I go back to school for one more year and redo my pre-reqs or should I just do a second degree and apply after? Basically does anyone know how American schools or DO schools look at repeated courses? And what would you do if you were in my situation?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Second degree opens up more possibilities, 2 years of 3.7/3.8 makes you in the running for a few Canadian schools. Second degree with 3.8+ opens up even more.

Archived