Premed 101 Forums

Secondaries...Not receiving them

Guest jjd322

I am waiting for secondaries and not getting them from the schools. These are schools that say they send secondaries to ALL applicants. Should I request from the schools, or do they actually screen applicants but just not saying it?

Thanks moo.

Some of the top tier schools. I guess I just want to try my luck and if I don't make it then I don't make it. Canadian schools are good and I'm fairly certain I'll get in somewhere in Canada (I did two years ago but rejected it) but for some odd reason I just really want to study med in US, despite my very low chance of acceptance. Consider me weird...

By the way moo, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting into the states. I understand they concentrate a lot of gpa and mcat, but also look at the whole package. My AMCAS gpa is 3.87 (science 3.82). MCAT horribly horrible (7VR, 10BS, 9PS, Q). But I thought my grad degree might make up for it. I completed a master's from Cambridge with one first-author publication, presentations and conference. Now doing phD there on a scholarship. Some leadership, sports, editorial and lots of hospital experience. I know my MCAT is bad and therefore I have very low chance of getting in US schools, especially the good ones. But I thought I'd give it a shot since they do look at the whole package before deciding.

Honestly, what's my chance of getting in?

PRETY DARN GOOD I WOULD SAY.

If you are doing your PhD at Cambridge and have previously been accepted in Canada.

I don't see why you have so much dought about getting into the top tier schools in the US.

check out mdapplication.com to get some stats on previous accepted students. Plus I hope you applied to DUKE. That would be my first choice if I had your stats. Since they have one year for research. YOu would be able to skip it or do research for one year.

Hi Docbil,

Thanks for the motivation. I've been quite down after receiving my mcat scores thinking it will end my chances at US schools. I will give Duke a shot...it was one of the schools for my primary. I am, however, considering cutting down on the number of secondaries due to my low mcat scores.

I actually would not be so confident about getting into top tier schools. While you have a excellent GPA, admissions to a top tier school is never guaranteed. Don't underestimate the importance of your MCAT. I interviewed my first group of panel applicants to Northwestern on Friday and I was talking to a guy on the adcom and he was like, "A person with a GPA of 3.9 and an MCAT of 30 will put up a red flag... something's not right." While I will never say you have no chance at the top schools, I would also say that you can never be too confident, even if you have a PhD from a great school, because you'd be surprised at what so many other applicants to these schools have also done. It's also never true that just because you got into a Canadian school that you can get into a top tier US school or any US school. I've known many people who've gotten into Canada who couldn't get into the US (even a mid-lower tier school) and vice versa.

Hi Moo,

Thanks for the honesty. I actually feel the same way. Many people called me pessimistic but I think I'm just realistic. I am being very careful at choosing my secondary applications because I know applying to more doesn't guarantee me anything, considering my low MCAT score. I am actually contemplating rewriting MCAT to boost my score, but unfortunately with full time PhD and other activities it'll be almost impossible to find time for studying. That was precisely why my scores were so low from the August exam.

As for Canadian schools, some of them are great. It's actually for personal reasons why I'd rather go to US. In the end, I would be happy just getting accepted into anywhere.

Are there any US schools that you would recommend, taking into account my research background? Or should I just drop them? I'm quite stuck at the moment with all the choices.

I think what's hindering you is your MCAT. If you really want to study at a top school, you must rock this thing. I'm being honest with you: your scores aren't just going to cut it at the top schools. Like I said before, you have a decent chance of getting in somewhere (and as you said, you did previously) just probably not at the Harvards and Hopkins. I would suggest retaking the MCAT and seeing what you get and go from there. The fact that you have a PhD will help but you have to remember that your undergrad GPA and MCAT scores will always be the two most important things. A 4.0 grad GPA does not impress most adcoms because they know that grade inflation occurs in most grad programs. However, that's not to say a PhD wouldn't help you in the admissions process; it will. But just remember that if you don't have the scores to back yourself up, it's going to be hard to get yourself in the door at these amazing places.

Any of the top schools are research-heavy, including Northwestern where I'm at. In fact, the admissions dean told us that these days research is almost expected of our applicants and all six people I've interviewed so far have had some sort of research, either as an undergrad, or as a research fellow, or a grad student. And Northwestern isn't even approaching the likes of Harvard and Hopkins. My point is if you get your MCAT score up, your opportunities will be much greater.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion moo. I will aim to improve my MCAT score next year but will focus on the Canadian schools for this round of applications.

Hi Moo

Thanks for the correction.

I will backtrack and say that I agree that your MCAT is lower then the required 33+ on most ivey school in the US. I guess I missed the fact that you wanted to go to harvard or yale.

I will say however to give it a try.

BTW. Moo where is my rejection from Northwestern. I am waiting to put it up. Heheheh

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have submitted my primary application on Nov1st to a number of schools, including UCLA, UCSD, UCSF but have not heard anything from them yet. I checked my primary application too and I don't see any data in the GPA-conversion section. I emailed AMCAS a couple of times and have not heard anything back from them yet. Anyone has any advice for me as what to do now? Is this waiting time expected? I am not sure why my GPA on the primary has not been calculated/converted by the reviewers. The status of my application says that they have received all transcript and my application is completed and ready for 'reviewer'.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Parii

Nov 1st wasn't too long ago.

Don't email AMCAS. Call them. If your GPA hasn't been calculated it is unlikely the schools received your apps.

Just FYI, the UCs are extremely competitive. UCSF is pretty much out of the reach if you are not a US citizen. I don't even know if SD accepts internationals. UCLA will take Canadians and is probably your best bet out of the UCs.

Your AMCAS GPA will show up after your primary application has been processed. This can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks during peak periods. Some schools send secondaries as soon as you submit your AMCAS application. Most schools don't contact you until your verified AMCAS application has been sent to them. Once your application has been verified (which will be indicated under status) you will see your AMCAS GPA and you will begin receiving secondaries. Secondaries don't come all at once. Some schools take a really long time to send them. Be patient.

Madz

Archived