Premed 101 Forums

Switching Universities To Raise Gpa?

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. My cGPA for the past three years has been significantly low due to my negligence when it came to my studies. It is around a 2.4 and I don't think there is an chance I could fix it even if I get a 4.0 in 4th and 5th year. I was talking to an academic advisor on advice on what I should do and she said if I were to transfer universities, dental schools would not look at my 1st degree transcript but the courses would still be able to transfer over. I'm in life sciences right now and thinking of doing a biology degree at another university. I would be able to graduate with the courses I have this fall and begin school at another university in winter. 

I was wondering if you think this would be a good option instead of continuing with my degree. I think some dental schools in Canada only look at your last few years in your most recent degree. I would probably end up doing another 2 years depending on whether the courses transfer over. I think this could also work with Australian dental schools as well but I would have to make sure and email them again. So what do you guys think about this plan? If anything I stated it the wrong info please let me know! I would love to know what you guys think.

It's a decision that you have to make, but make sure before making your final decision you know the admission requirements for each university fully. For example, UofT only looks at your second degree if you are graduated from your first degree. 

Contact individual universities via email, and ask your specific questions.

Good luck!

Archived