Premed 101 Forums

Keyhole Question

post-54886-0-65509500-1446347490_thumb.jpg

The correct answer for this question is 'C'. However, why isn't 'A' also correct? The explanation says that the middle portion should be longer but I can't really imagine why it should be longer.

I even measured it with a ruler...

PS. this is the solution they provided. How do I visualize that the middle portion is supposed to be this long?

post-54886-0-80492800-1446348315_thumb.jpg

What makes answer choice A wrong is the extent of distance between the two vertical extensions. 

I believe the distance between them should be greater than what is shown in answer choice A.

Yup, the distance has to be longer as you said but I don't really understand why because I even measured the distance using a ruler and they're the same. Is it like an illusion?

It seems to me that the vertical extensions on "A" are unequal in thickness (the bar on the right looks thicker than the bar on the left). They should be the same thickness given the object.

It's like that in the answer solutions too though! mysteryoflife, the distance of the width in this view should be the biggest width of the figure (in order for the whole figure to fit the hole). One way to see that A is too short is to look at the distance/width of A and see that it seems to match up with the thin, horizontal rectangle directly in the front of the figure -- yet there is more distance to the width, as you can see in the right side, of the prism (where it starts to curve), so A should be quite a bit wider than it is.

Archived