Premed 101 Forums

Sending Cdat To American Schools

I need some assistance from people who have applied to US dental schools. I took the Feb DAT and I'm not sure if I should re send my DAT scores when the AADSAS cycle opens. And if so should I send them in now because apparently it takes 10 days processing and 4-6 weeks to reach schools.

And also, in the website it says that 2 references should be science profs, does it mean bio, chem and that kind of profs? because I personally know 2 profs that I did research with but they are more profs for more advanced classes  (eg advanced nutrition class).

The requirements for letters depends on the school. Im pretty sure science can be anything in the sciences(lol) including nutrition (it's not necessarily BCP unless the school specifies it). I'm struggling to get one more letter as I have a bio and dentist letter so far.

Having applied to American dental schools, I would suggest sending them in as soon as you can. Like you said, the processing time can be lengthy. Furthermore, although they SAY the earliest you can get accepted is December 1st, they will hold interviews beforehand. Sending them in early gives you an opportunity to maybe get one of those early interviews.

I also had a "science-y" psychology teacher write one of my letters so I do believe it is loose.

I need some assistance from people who have applied to US dental schools. I took the Feb DAT and I'm not sure if I should re send my DAT scores when the AADSAS cycle opens. And if so should I send them in now because apparently it takes 10 days processing and 4-6 weeks to reach schools.

I assume when you say "re send" that when you signed up to write the DAT you included American schools. If that is the case, then you will have to resend since schools will not hold on to your DAT scores especially since the cycle has not started and they would need to match it up with your ID number (which you also don't have yet).

If you're tight on money I suggest calling each school's admission's office and see what they can do. From experience, I had to re-send. Good luck!

And also, in the website it says that 2 references should be science profs, does it mean bio, chem and that kind of profs? because I personally know 2 profs that I did research with but they are more profs for more advanced classes  (eg advanced nutrition class).

As others have said, it depends on the schools. Be careful, some schools are very picky, so make sure you read carefully what each school requires. You should also be careful about using research professors because I remember reading how some schools only wanted teaching professors (so professors that taught you a course) to write your reference letter.

I assume when you say "re send" that when you signed up to write the DAT you included American schools. If that is the case, then you will have to resend since schools will not hold on to your DAT scores especially since the cycle has not started and they would need to match it up with your ID number (which you also don't have yet).

If you're tight on money I suggest calling each school's admission's office and see what they can do. From experience, I had to re-send. Good luck!

Would you "resend" them before AADSAS opens or wait to get an ID number (after June 1st)?

Would you "resend" them before AADSAS opens or wait to get an ID number (after June 1st)?

I would do it after, because even if you submit your application that very day the application opens, your application won't be sent to schools soon. In fact, if I remember correctly, the first batch of application was sent about a month after AADSAS opened. The reason being is that your grades must be verified by AADSAS and that part is the part that takes the longest. Also, I called some schools and they all told me to send it after I submit my application. Also, I remember asking CDA how long it would take to process my order, I was told the very next day since they are not busy now. And in fact, my order was processed very soon. So I don't think you need to worry too much :)

For those unfamiliar with what I am talking about, here is a brief overview of what happens. AADSAS usually opens near the beginning of June. Once it opens you make an account for your application and start filling in all the sections on the application. Near the end of your application, you select the schools you wish to apply. So you make one application and this will be sent to all schools you wish to apply for in the States. Some schools require a supplementary application, so you will then proceed to fill those out. These supplementary application will show up in AADSAS.

One section on the application includes manually inputting all your grades; however, you must send official transcripts to AADSAS along with a matching form (which will be provided only when you fill out your application). You must give this matching form to your school's registrar and tell them to included that form when they send your transcript to AADSAS. Failure to do so will definitely delay your application processing time.

MAJOR TIP: The moment you make an account, I suggest you immediately fill out the section that ask you to list all the schools you attend (this is where your matching form will be generated). Print the form(s) and give it to your school's registrar's office when you request for your official transcript to be sent to AADSAS.

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps! :)

Archived