Premed 101 Forums

Research After Graduating

Hi, 

Long story short I am graduating from undergrad and have pretty much zero research experience. I never did any NSERC or worklearn type stuff (regrets, regrets) but I really want to get a feel for it. 

I had a (TINY) research role once, but I would pretty much have to be re trained from the bottom in either a wet lab or dry lab setting...

My guess is that professors will be hesitant to take on volunteers who aren't in school, as they won't be eligible for grants in the future. However, do any of you have experience doing research after graduating (with little to no experience)? Did you apply on postings from job boards, or did you just start contacting profs directly?

Thanks! 

I think contacting profs/PIs directly will be fine even if you graduated. For what it's worth, my friend did this during his gap year and it was a really great full-time experience for him (he got into medicine after!). He did have prior research experience, but just try contacting them and I'm sure someone will be willing to take you on!

I think contacting profs/PIs directly will be fine even if you graduated. For what it's worth, my friend did this during his gap year and it was a really great full-time experience for him (he got into medicine after!). He did have prior research experience, but just try contacting them and I'm sure someone will be willing to take you on!

Thank you, always coming in clutch with the knowledge!

Why not just do a research-based masters? It'll boost your chances for UofT

Ya was thinking about that but none of the PIs I contacted were taking grad students with my level of experience (basically none). Now I think it is a bit late for this year, but something to keep in my for next year if need be!

Archived