Premed 101 Forums

Disability insurance,

I'm a 2nd year dental student looking to get my disability insurance this summer. 

However, I am having difficulty choosing who to go with as this is completely new to me. 

What questions should I be asking to the rep?

What should I consider when choosing who my insurance provider will be. 

How much does it typically cost?

Do I need it at this stage my career? 

Please share some of your wisdom with me !

I'd say that yes you should look into getting insurance sooner than later.  You might say 'I'm healthy, I don't really need it now' but that's the opposite of the truth.  If you get sick or injured you will become uninsurable.  Get it early when you're healthy.  

I pay about $2500/year but there are lots of variables.  You'll probably pay less in school since you have no income to insure (you are buying the right to future insurance).  

I cant recommend a rep.  They are simply the middlemen between you and the insurer.  If they are good they will know the ins and outs of each policy and rider. 

In my experience the major insurers offered lifetime rate reductions if you signed up as a student.  Something like 15% which would save you thousands of dollars over the course of your life.  

I think it's never too early to sign up once you are admitted to dental school and can have your insured profession listed as 'dentist'. 

Archived