Premed 101 Forums

UofT Dental Instruments Price

Hi guys,

UofT states on their site that dental instruments are about $9,000. I was wondering whether there is any way to purchase these dental instruments second-hand? If they CAN be purchased second-hand, how much would I be spending on them? Are textbooks and other school supplies also factored into the $9,000? And if so, how necessary are they? In several of my undergrad courses, they say we need a textbook but I don't even end up cracking it open. Thanks for your help!

no, the price for all of the materials is non negotiable. at the end you get a highspeed and slowspeed handpiece, which you have used in dental school. It includes the scrubs/lab coat/goggles/handouts you are issued but no textbooks. no, textbooks not actually needed, they are for reference only. you'll get by without buying any, plus upper years have PDF of most of the textbooks (albeit older editions) but if you really want to read it... you can lol

You are not really purchasing instruments. It's merely a fee that helps cover the cost of instruments for the entire class. When you graduate you get a couple handpieces but these aren't handpieces you kept with you for your entire schooling or anything like that. 

You've made it this far; worrying about tuition fees shouldn't really be part of your concern right now. If costs are a concern you'll take out a large line of credit, like most other people. 

Archived