Premed 101 Forums

What should the average monthly production be (roughly) 2 years out of school as an associate?

Hi,

I'm almost 2 years out now and work 2 part-time jobs at the moment.  Just curious what one should be averaging in terms of monthly production on 40% collections (which is pretty much the standard rate here in Canada) at this point? I know it is hugely dependent where in Canada you are in, but am curious on an average ballpark. 

It's really more dependent on how fast you are, how busy you are, what sorts of procedures you do, and how many hours/days you work more than where you are. There is only a difference in "how likely am I to be booked up in my schedule" with respect to where you live, and some variances in fee guides (ahem Alberta). Otherwise, it's all on how fast you can work and what procedures you perform. I'd say there is really a physical limit to how hard you can work in dentistry so until you get into higher end procedures or ownership, there's a ceiling on income, but there is still an ENORMOUS variance. Also your question seems to be contradicting itself, are you asking "how much should I be collecting" or "how much should I be producing"? Honestly, you could sayy you're billing anywhere from almost nothing (let's say you produce $20k a month) to plenty (let's say 70-80k a month), and I'd say "seems reasonable." 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:53 PM, cleanup said:

It's really more dependent on how fast you are, how busy you are, what sorts of procedures you do, and how many hours/days you work more than where you are. There is only a difference in "how likely am I to be booked up in my schedule" with respect to where you live, and some variances in fee guides (ahem Alberta). Otherwise, it's all on how fast you can work and what procedures you perform. I'd say there is really a physical limit to how hard you can work in dentistry so until you get into higher end procedures or ownership, there's a ceiling on income, but there is still an ENORMOUS variance. Also your question seems to be contradicting itself, are you asking "how much should I be collecting" or "how much should I be producing"? Honestly, you could sayy you're billing anywhere from almost nothing (let's say you produce $20k a month) to plenty (let's say 70-80k a month), and I'd say "seems reasonable." 

What's wrong with Alberta?

On 5/4/2018 at 8:08 AM, cleanup said:

Nothing. Alberta has the highest fee guide in all of Canada. Dentistry is super pricey there, but admittedly, wages are high.

Also, Alberta is very strict with sterilization practices compared to other provinces. This results in higher expenses.

Archived