goatsarecoolyee

Kwantlyn Polytechnic Nursing To Med

4 posts in this topic

Would you encourage  going to Kwantlyn Polytechnic University in BC as a route to medical school? I am seriously considering this because I received a full ride at this school and that money is such a motivator! Thoughts? Issues? My goal is UBC medical school! Thanks in advance :)

Congrats at the scholarship! 

Any program in any undergrad institution is acceptable in med. What is important is how you maintain your GPA and have an interesting CV (good mix of clinical, volunteer, research and hobbies). 

Then again, in nursing its slightly different, since it might be difficult to fit in those "premed" classes into your schedule, pass/fail classes and subjective nursing theory classes. 

By the way, I would not recommend you to go into nursing if you fully 100% want to go into med. It is slightly unfair that you are taking a spot of someone who might really want to go into nursing, especially considering it is a professional program. If you could see yourself being happy as a staff nurse, NP or nursing researcher/academic, and you also want to keep med as an open option too, then go for nursing. BUT if you see yourself as nothing but a doctor, then it might be a better idea to go the classic "premed" route...

Congrats at the scholarship! 

Any program in any undergrad institution is acceptable in med. What is important is how you maintain your GPA and have an interesting CV (good mix of clinical, volunteer, research and hobbies). 

Then again, in nursing its slightly different, since it might be difficult to fit in those "premed" classes into your schedule, pass/fail classes and subjective nursing theory classes. 

By the way, I would not recommend you to go into nursing if you fully 100% want to go into med. It is slightly unfair that you are taking a spot of someone who might really want to go into nursing, especially considering it is a professional program. If you could see yourself being happy as a staff nurse, NP or nursing researcher/academic, and you also want to keep med as an open option too, then go for nursing. BUT if you see yourself as nothing but a doctor, then it might be a better idea to go the classic "premed" route...

Ignore the topic of unfair of taking a spot. Many people leave professional programs all the time to go into medicine. There is no difference between leaving Nursing than it is to leave engineering, or to leave a crappy biology degree - someone missed out regardless.

henslice and trimethoprim like this