Premed 101 Forums

New Gatineau Campus - 2020?

quibble

From what I know the Gatneau campus would be used to split the current class into different clerkship locations. Therefore, the class size of admitted students won't change. Remember it is the provincial government that regulates the spots not the school itself.

However, this is just what I am thinking, and I could definitely be wrong! I think it would be awesome if Gatineau served as a location for students from Northern Quebec (something similar to NOSM) as they need more physicians in those areas.

3 hours ago, Vendar said:

From what I know the Gatneau campus would be used to split the current class into different clerkship locations. Therefore, the class size of admitted students won't change. Remember it is the provincial government that regulates the spots not the school itself.

However, this is just what I am thinking, and I could definitely be wrong! I think it would be awesome if Gatineau served as a location for students from Northern Quebec (something similar to NOSM) as they need more physicians in those areas.

Gatineau/Outaouais has always been a distributed med education site where you can do both core and elective clerkship rotations. But, I think OP was getting at the fact that McGill will be opening a medical school satellite campus (i.e., all 4 years in Gatineau/Outaouais). From what I know, the medical school will be built on top of the emergency room at the Gatineau Hospital and will open in 2020. Each year the program will place 24 new students from the McGill medical school into the mostly French-language, four-year program. 

Back to OP's question - I am not sure if the 24 new spots will cannibalize the # of students studying in the main campus. 

Archived