Premed 101 Forums

What school did you choose?

I will be applying in the upcoming fall and I was wondering what schools other people have chosen and why?  I'm in Alberta, so UofA and UofC are obvious forerunners for me, but I am considering out of province schools as well.  I was wondering what some of the western schools were known for, or "stereotypes" about what kind of students are drawn to various medical school?  What is drawing you to certain schools?

7 minutes ago, chkchkchickens said:

What is drawing you to certain schools?

That they sent me an offer of admission  ;)

But seriously, I just applied everywhere I was eligible and had a decent shot at. Then when it came down to 2 offers off of waitlists the decision making process was much simpler. My recommendation is to increase your chances of acceptance by applying to several schools. The process is very competitive so you want to give yourself the best shot you can at acceptance.

I chose McMaster in the end because the location is close to Toronto, it's larger than Kingston (the other offer I got was to Queen's), the 3 year program appealed to me, and I got a great feeling from the school at my interview.

You're going to find a diversity of students at any medical school, there's not really a generalization you can make about what kind of people end up where. The best way to get a feel for what the culture of the school is like is during interviews. Every school I interviewed at (I did 4 interviews this cycle) gave you the opportunity to ask questions of medical students, of the dean, and to watch presentations which would give you some insight into what they have to offer and to take a quick look around the city.

To sum up, my strategy would be 1) apply widely 2) get a feel for the school & city when you interview 3) if you are lucky enough to get multiple offers then that info you gathered at interviews will come in handy.

2 hours ago, chkchkchickens said:

Wow thanks so much for your input haha!  I had definitely planned to apply to lots of schools to up my chances.  I'm glad to hear that you get a feel for the school culture in the interviews-I was worried I had to have it all set before I even applied.  

No problem! You can come prepared with questions for your med student guides (at interviews they stick you in groups with 1st year med student leaders to navigate you to where you need to be and answer questions). That's really the best resource I found.

Archived