Premed 101 Forums

Hey future / potential PTs!

I am a physio student in Ontario who wishes to help out future physio students coming into the program this fall or thinking about PT in the near future. In undergrad, I was the only one out of my friend group who decided to pursue PT so I didn't have anyone to talk to about admission tactics (how to raise GPA, what they look for in personal submissions, PT/non-pt relevant experiences, interviews), what physiotherapy school is like, job prospects, etc. I know that there are hungry undergrad students who are in similar shoes now and I wanna be of help!

Also, if you are an incoming PT student (doesn't matter which program-- they are all wonderful), feel free to reach out and we can chat! (what you can expect in the next 2 years)

Now that I have gone through physio school, I feel like I can answer any burning questions you guys might have as undergrad students. If you are passionate about PT, it doesn't matter if you're in first year of undergrad or 5th/6th year... shoot me a message! 

Is it common to not get in with your first application and if so, what would you recommend improving to have a stronger application?

I felt like I had everything in order to be competitive and get an offer this year (1st time applying) but only got waitlisted. 

12 hours ago, NewAtThis said:

Is it common to not get in with your first application and if so, what would you recommend improving to have a stronger application?

I felt like I had everything in order to be competitive and get an offer this year (1st time applying) but only got waitlisted. 

It is definitely common to not get in with your first application. However, about half of the class will actually get in with their first try (I don't have specific stats but I spoke with my friends in different PT programs in Ontario about this). This does not mean that you weren't adequately prepared for PT... it just shows how competitive it is to get in and different schools look at different things (unfortunately). To become a stronger applicant, you have to identify what each program is looking for (specifically in their application process). Please DM me with your school of interest and I can give you some tips on how to effectively prepare for this coming cycle and connect you with some resources  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PhysioStudent, thanks for making this thread!! 

I'm wondering, do you know what UBC and UofT are looking at more for their prospective PT students?  I feel like my strengths are in my grades (around 90% for last 10-20 courses) and experience working in a PT related research lab and having lots of experience volunteering w/ physically handicapped people, but I'm  worried that I don't have enough experience being involved in the school community with clubs, and that I don't have any scholarships.

I am also really passionate about PT. I love learning about the body, how things work, and how movement disorders occur/can be treated. I love building patient rapport- being a figure they can trust, learning about patients, getting to know them as people, and just building relationships while helping them in their recovery. I am really passionate about the profession. But, I am not really that athletic, like I go to the gym and go to some MMA classes here and there, but I'm not really the typical 'sporty' physio who coaches basketball on week nights, plays rec league hockey on the weekends, all while training for a marathon. I guess what I'm curious to know is, will it affect my application that sports are not in my extracurriculars?

On 7/13/2018 at 10:28 PM, Probablypt said:

Hi PhysioStudent, thanks for making this thread!! 

I'm wondering, do you know what UBC and UofT are looking at more for their prospective PT students?  I feel like my strengths are in my grades (around 90% for last 10-20 courses) and experience working in a PT related research lab and having lots of experience volunteering w/ physically handicapped people, but I'm  worried that I don't have enough experience being involved in the school community with clubs, and that I don't have any scholarships.

I am also really passionate about PT. I love learning about the body, how things work, and how movement disorders occur/can be treated. I love building patient rapport- being a figure they can trust, learning about patients, getting to know them as people, and just building relationships while helping them in their recovery. I am really passionate about the profession. But, I am not really that athletic, like I go to the gym and go to some MMA classes here and there, but I'm not really the typical 'sporty' physio who coaches basketball on week nights, plays rec league hockey on the weekends, all while training for a marathon. I guess what I'm curious to know is, will it affect my application that sports are not in my extracurriculars?

I didn't get into UoT but I did get an invite to their CAP test and AFAIK, it is only based on your sGPA (which needs to be above their cutoff, which was around 3.81 this year so it sounds like no issue for you). They look at your GPA (again, your sGPA) for 60% of your application and your CAP test score for the other 40% to make admission offers. I have heard in the past that they value research experience a lot in their students but they never asked me about it in their personal submissions (only Western asked for personal experiences). I can't tell you anything about UBC because I have not applied there. 

Just curious as to University you went to. 

I will be starting PT at Mac this Fall and would like to know what kind of additional activities and experiences I should seek out to make myself an above average student and professional. Can you speak about your experience in physiotherapy school and any tips you may have on excelling? Can you also talk about what your schedule was like, how demanding the workload is, if its possible to work part-time, and what the clinical placements were like? 

Really excited to be starting, but I decided very late in my undergrad to apply to PT and didn't get a chance to talk to many students who have completed the program.

Thanks for sharing 

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm looking to apply to Western, Queens, Mac, uOttawa and McGill for PT.  Top choice would be Western and second Queens.  Do you have any recommendations on what each school looks for in their candidates?  My sGPA is between 3.8 and 3.9.  I have a Masters in Human Kinetics with lots of research experience.

Mac assesses the online interview at 75% so get lots of practice with Kira. 

Queens cares more about the experiences you've had with physiotherapy so I would suggest that you take your time with the sup app and talk about experiences in  your masters program and anything else.

You may also want to look into applying to UofT since their CAP cutoffs have previously been in the low-mid 3.8. 

Just try to do lots of research into the profession and the skills and competencies required as a PT. Become proficient at communicating about how your previous experiences will make you a great candidate for this program which will come with practice. Good Luck!

Archived