Premed 101 Forums

Questions about American DAT

I am planning to write the American DAT at the end of summer to apply to some Canadian Dental school upcoming school year. The major reason why I am writing the American DAT is due to the fact that some schools don't seem to accept the result for the November Canadian DAT for that year's application cycle. I am not sure if writing an American DAT is a common practice but I couldn't find the answer to two questions I had.

1. If I write my american DAT at the end of August, can I write the Canadian DAT on November? DAT guide from ADA states that one can only write the DAT every 90 days. I wasn't sure if this rule applied to both Canadian DAT and American DAT. Who should I contact to get more detail on this matter?

2. American DAT has Ochem and QR in addition to the topics offered in Canadian DAT. Do Canadian schools look at these section or completely ignore them? Again according to the DAT guide from ADA, I have to complete all the section of the test and can't skip anything. Would schools care if I dont do well on these two sections? I would rather focus on sections that are also in the Canadian DAT.

Hi! I wrote the American DAT (for different reasons) and have got accepted in dentistry for this coming year.

Yes you can write two DATs in one year. The ADA and CDA are different institutions and I'm sure their rules do not apply to each other. (But call to double check, you never know!)

There is some misinformation above. All schools WILL NOT look at all your sections. Most (if not all) schools will only take the same sections as the Canadian DAT. I have asked many admissions departments this question and they have all told me this. For the schools you want to apply to, double check but I can guarantee they will not take your organic chemistry and quantitative reasoning.

With that being said CHECK if the dental colleges you are applying to accept the American DAT. Some don't explicitly say on their websites, and some do. I would hate for you to write the 'wrong' DAT and not be able to apply anymore!

Even though I know that what I typed here is 100% true, DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. There is way too much misinformation on this website (just look at the reply above, misinformation central). With something as important as your application to dental school, TAKE IT INTO YOUR OWN HANDS. Be that annoying person who emails and calls just to be sure. You'll be glad you did when you get that acceptance email.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:42 AM, DentalDayum said:

Hi! I wrote the American DAT (for different reasons) and have got accepted in dentistry for this coming year.

Yes you can write two DATs in one year. The ADA and CDA are different institutions and I'm sure their rules do not apply to each other. (But call to double check, you never know!)

There is some misinformation above. All schools WILL NOT look at all your sections. Most (if not all) schools will only take the same sections as the Canadian DAT. I have asked many admissions departments this question and they have all told me this. For the schools you want to apply to, double check but I can guarantee they will not take your organic chemistry and quantitative reasoning.

With that being said CHECK if the dental colleges you are applying to accept the American DAT. Some don't explicitly say on their websites, and some do. I would hate for you to write the 'wrong' DAT and not be able to apply anymore!

Even though I know that what I typed here is 100% true, DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. There is way too much misinformation on this website (just look at the reply above, misinformation central). With something as important as your application to dental school, TAKE IT INTO YOUR OWN HANDS. Be that annoying person who emails and calls just to be sure. You'll be glad you did when you get that acceptance email.

I heard the same. Most Canadian schools will only take the Canadian DAT and NOT the American DAT. And Most American schools will take the Canadian DAT while some won't take it. I'm in the same boat and for the above reason I opted to take the  Canadian DAT so I can apply to both American and Canadian schools without having to worry and uncessarily study O-chem and the math section.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:27 AM, Starburst said:

I heard the same. Most Canadian schools will only take the Canadian DAT and NOT the American DAT. And Most American schools will take the Canadian DAT while some won't take it. I'm in the same boat and for the above reason I opted to take the  Canadian DAT so I can apply to both American and Canadian schools without having to worry and uncessarily study O-chem and the math section.

Just wondering why you are retaking the DAT when the scores in your bio section look amazing!!!

Archived