Premed 101 Forums

no honours

marriat

I am interested in doing a research based masters, something in life/health sciences but I am general bio major in my 5th year without an honours. is it still possible to find a masters willing to accept me? 

Also, do all the masters programs have guaranteed funding? 

Do you have any other research volunteering? Also, would this be basic research or something more clinical or epidemiology? All that aside, it really depends on the supervisor. All you can do is contact potential supervisors and outline your situation.

On the funding side of things, no all masters programs do not have guaranteed funding. It also depends on the institution that you are going to be doing your research at. Make sure to check online policies because some programs will not accept you if you can not provide some proof of funding, supervisor or otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honours has many definitions depending on the university, by without an honours, do you mean:

That your school offers an honours thesis in order to get an HBSc?

If this is a 4 year program, i don't think there's an issue here. As long as you have some type of research/relevant clinical/voluntary background.

Or do you mean that the program you're in doesn't have an honours designation (BSc)?

If this is a 4 year program, i don't think there's an issue here. As long as you have some type of research/relevant clinical/voluntary background.

Or do you mean that you're in a general bio program (guelph?) that's only 3 years long?

If this is the case, you absolutely need to go and do a 4 year degree if you want to apply to Western or NOSM. Not sure about schools outside of Ontario. Usually grad schools won't accept students from 3-year programs either.

Or by honours do you mean that you're getting less than an A-, 3.70/4.00 (OMSAS), 80% cGPA -- without distinction/latin honours?

Yes, it's possible to get into grad school without latin honours. Most grad schools require, at the very least, a 70%/B- average within the last two years, some are obviously higher. And if you get struck by lightning, you can be one of the very lucky people to even get into med school. 

If you're in an honours program and are graduating with less than the required cGPA for that honours status (at UofT, it's a 2.00/4.00 (C) to graduate with a B.Sc (hons.) minimum), you have bigger problems to worry about than getting into med school  because grad schools won't look at you unless you have at least a B-/70%/ 2.60/4.00 average at the very least for a masters.

Archived