Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances??

I'm not really confident about my chances this year but I'm wondering if my application for Queen's is competitive enough.

wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 520 (130/128/131/131)

EC: research in 4 labs, 2 second author pubs, posters/seminar presentations, volunteering in hospitals, with children and with the elderly, campus club executive etc.

What do you kind people think??

I know my GPA is comparatively low but I still need some hope :(

On 10/1/2018 at 12:55 AM, Gironomo said:

actually it's not. it is initially used to screen applicants, but it is used competitively to decide who receives an interview along with MCAT, reference letters and ABS.

edit: 3.89 should be fine though

Where did you get that info? I've seen multiple people (who attend Queens) on here that post that GPA and MCAT is purely used to screen applicants prior to interview. That is to say, after an applicant passes a certain threshold for GPA and MCAT, reference letters and ABS solely determine whether said applicant gets an interview.

6 hours ago, bluepen said:

Where did you get that info? I've seen multiple people (who attend Queens) on here that post that GPA and MCAT is purely used to screen applicants prior to interview. That is to say, after an applicant passes a certain threshold for GPA and MCAT, reference letters and ABS solely determine whether said applicant gets an interview.

Literally right on their website. 

"Based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated. Approximately 500 of the top ranking applicants are invited to come to Queen’s for an interview. If an applicant chooses to withdraw or decline their interview, we will offer the interview spot to the next person on the rank order list."

On 10/2/2018 at 11:36 PM, Gironomo said:

Literally right on their website. 

"Based on GPA, MCAT, Sketch and Reference Letter scores, a rank order list is generated. Approximately 500 of the top ranking applicants are invited to come to Queen’s for an interview. If an applicant chooses to withdraw or decline their interview, we will offer the interview spot to the next person on the rank order list."

I have read that on the website, thank you. However, I think that this statement is vague and cannot be interpreted at surface value necessarily. The website also states:

"Each year approximately 2000 applicants progress to the sketch and reference letter review."

This is referring to the minimum GPA and MCAT scores applicants must pass.

Therefore, that statement you pointed out could also be referring to the fact that the GPA and MCAT scores are used as minimum scores for which approximately screens to 2000 applicants, who then "progress to the sketch and reference letter review." It does not necessarily mean that GPA and MCAT scores are used during the sketch and reference letter review to rank the top 500 applicants. Of course, you may be right! I just wanted to make sure that you had a clear source for your information (apart from the vague and not obvious statement that you pulled from their website), which clearly you do not seem to have. There's a reason that Queens has always been known as a black box. Most people have certainly read their admissions requirements website and discussed this topic before.

Archived