Premed 101 Forums

RN thinking about medical school

If your 3rd & 4th year GPA's are actually up in the +3.8 region you may be able to apply to a couple of Ontario schools that use weighting.  Check out Queens, Western or maybe UofT pending your grade spreads.  You likely need to do a 2nd undergrad and achieve atleast +3.85 for 2 or 3 years to be successful at an interview in Ontario.

20 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Congrats on the RN.

Have you considered the advanced nursing options you have? Cardiac/neuro surgery nursing, anesthetic nurse etc...lots of good options with 2/3 the compensation of an MD but much less training and liability.

Thank you very much.

I have considered masters and contemplated/ envisioned many other opportunities for advancement in nursing but I feel strongly about the MD and I'm currently thinking about going down that route.  cheers

• 1 month later...

I am an RN student in Ryerson.i have few question about the humanities/laguage or social science prerequisite of UofT.what u guys had as your elective and how we are eligible with our subjectes like ana physio but not physics etc.I am an immigrant student so i know very little about those factors.please drop any info if u have.Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, uncle23 said:

Pre-req's/ science courses: nothing .... basically just took pathophysiology in my nursing program;  I have not taken biology, chemistry (general or organic), physics etc...

****Action plan ideas:

- (?) post baccalaureate program.  Caribbean as an option for my situation....?

- supplementary courses with adequate course load to meet school requirements?

- second undergrad?

- Masters in Nursing .... for sure don't want to be do any more nursing education

As you can probably tell by my name, I am also taking the RPN-RN-MD route, and I know about its difficulties well. I have a few comments on your situation.

1. Most Ontario MD programs have no specific course prerequisites, so if you don't have them then you still have a decent shot (except Ottawa I believe). UofT only requires a certain number of science and humanities courses which shouldn't be hard to attain.
2. Doing another degree will help you in some circumstances, but not McMaster, they look at every grade you've ever received ( - your RPN school).
3. Like a previous poster said, if it's only one year that you had bad grades in then you might be fine, depending (unfortunately the UofT wGPA does not help us as we have too many pass/fail courses in nursing).
4. As for MCAT, I wouldn't actually be too worried, you can retake if you like and it doesn't matter (unlike GPA, which follows you for life); also, UofT hardly cares about MCAT,  McMaster only looks at CARS, and Ottawa and NOSM don't even look at MCAT.
5. As you stated, your GPA is by far your weakest point; I generally advise against anybody going to Caribbean med schools, but maybe look into some of the other international ones (Ireland, Australia, UK, US, or other places if you speak the language), but keep in mind that it will be very difficult to come back to Canada to practice.
6. If you are truly determined, you can probably make it, but be prepared to take several years and possibly lots of money to get there.

Good luck! Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, pchakraborty4 said:

I am an RN student in Ryerson.i have few question about the humanities/laguage or social science prerequisite of UofT.what u guys had as your elective and how we are eligible with our subjectes like ana physio but not physics etc.I am an immigrant student so i know very little about those factors.please drop any info if u have.Thanks in advance.

You can write UofT med admissions (md.applicants@utoronto.ca) and ask them about your courses specifically, and can even send a copy of your transcript or your course description for them to look at to see which courses are appropriate. In general, if the course code is from a humanities/languages/social sciences/et cetera, then they are good for that part of the application, and I don't think you should have any problem getting the science part, being in nursing.

Good luck

Archived