Premed 101 Forums

Need Guidance

Hello, PreMed101 community. 

I am in my 4th year of undergraduate studies in a health-care professional program. My first three years were mostly academic with in-class learning and pass/fail skills courses. I was not initially gunning to get into medical school, however with my experiences in the health-care environment in my fourth year I really find myself wanting to learn more. I want to learn more about disease processes, the human body, the genome, the various cell processes and in general be the primary source of health-care? if that makes sense.

In High-school, I was usually in the highest or the highest percentile group for any assessment. However, after being admitted into the program I thought I wanted to go into for post-secondary that drive vanished away and my GPA became sub-par. My GPA breakdown is as follows:

1st year: 3.71 - due to 2 bad classes (if can drop: GPA 3.88)

2nd year: 3.59 - due to 2 bad classes - (also three pass/fail courses) (if can drop: GPA 3.72)

3rd year: 3.74 - due to 2 bad classes - ( 1 pass/fail course) (if can drop: GPA: 3.81)

- summer : 1 pass/fail course; summer GPA: 2.8 (all time low motivation)

4th year - all placements (pass and fail courses) (2 full pass/fail courses (15 credit each - 30 credits))

cGPA (including summer courses) - 3.55 (MAC GPA)

cGPA (not including summer courses) - 3.68

wGPA (best two years) - 3.715

If I was allowed to drop pass/fail courses and not have it count towards the allowed dropped courses for GPA calculation I would not be in this position right now. 

These are my GPA calculations, and without proper motivation to get into medical school. I just went to classes and studied last minute and tried to "pass". I am sure this is not my best and I am certain I can do a lot better. Therefore I ask you all for your best advice in what to do for future steps. I have expressed my concerns to my parents, and they think that doing a second-degree would take too long, however I personally do not mind. There are however, proposing that I either move to a different province and wait for IN status or do a masters/post-grad in my field. 

I think that a second-degree would be the best option however a different province (currently in ON) does not seem too bad of an idea. After I graduate, I will have a certain employment opportunity. So I could work in a new province until I become IN-status, however I am still not sure my stats would be good enough. 

My options:

1. Do a second-degree in ON, write the MCAT and then work in my current field until acceptance?

2. Write the MCAT, and work in current field in ON until acceptance?

3. Do a post-grad and/or ? forget about the physician dream

4. Move to a different province, work there for 3 years (IN-status) and apply?

5. Move to a different province, and do second-degree there?

Please, please, please give me your best advice for what to do as my next steps. Each day that passes on in my placement the more I become certain that I want to become a physician. 

Thanks for your help and thanks if you have read this far along. 

TLDR; 

I am in my fourth year of under-grad now and want to be a physician. However, my GPA is doodoo and have not wrote the MCAT yet. Pressure from my parents as what my next-steps will be. 

Archived