Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite + DAT at the same time?

Hey guys! I'm taking pre requisite courses next semester and I wanna study for the DAT as well. Is there any good schedule to do so while I'm taking the courses? And do I have to take the all pre requisite courses, the dental schools ask for on their websites, before applying? 

Thanks in advance!

The DAT is scheduled in the middle of midterms of both semesters so time management is the biggest key. I found it hard to have a strict 'schedule' but I spent all of my free time between classes and a few hours after dinner every night writing out notes. If you download the DATbootcamp PAT generator app (it used to be free idk anymore) its an easy way to study while waiting in line for coffee and such. Regarding the pre-reqs, email the admissions offices of each university whether it needs to be taken prior to application or if concurrent is accepted. 

39 minutes ago, DentalExplorer said:

The DAT is scheduled in the middle of midterms of both semesters so time management is the biggest key. I found it hard to have a strict 'schedule' but I spent all of my free time between classes and a few hours after dinner every night writing out notes. If you download the DATbootcamp PAT generator app (it used to be free idk anymore) its an easy way to study while waiting in line for coffee and such. Regarding the pre-reqs, email the admissions offices of each university whether it needs to be taken prior to application or if concurrent is accepted. 

Yes I think I will make some time at night through the semester and have a strict schedule between the semesters. I got the DATbootcamp PAT generator app and it's still free. Thank you so much ^_^

18 hours ago, SirDent77 said:

Hey guys! I'm taking pre requisite courses next semester and I wanna study for the DAT as well. Is there any good schedule to do so while I'm taking the courses? And do I have to take the all pre requisite courses, the dental schools ask for on their websites, before applying? 

Thanks in advance!

You don't have to take all the pre-requisite courses before applying. As long as you have them done before you start dental school, you should be fine. And if you're studying for the Canadian DAT this summer, you should be practicing on paper using the printable PAT generators on DATCrusher since the Canadian DAT is a paper exam. You could use the DATBootcamp app, but I honestly didn't find it to be that useful after using it for a week since I realized I was using different strategies when practicing on paper.

8 minutes ago, Prolene said:

You don't have to take all the pre-requisite courses before applying. As long as you have them done before you start dental school, you should be fine. And if you're studying for the Canadian DAT this summer, you should be practicing on paper using the printable PAT generators on DATCrusher since the Canadian DAT is a paper exam. You could use the DATBootcamp app, but I honestly didn't find it to be that useful after using it for a week since I realized I was using different strategies when practicing on paper.

Thanks a lot really appreciate it ^_^

On 4/15/2019 at 9:35 PM, DentalExplorer said:

DATbootcamp PAT generator app (it used to be free idk anymore) its an easy way to study while waiting in line for coffee and such

I had the Kaplan DAT app that generates practice quizzes for PAT, BIO, CHM. I have a 2-hour bus ride to school and a 2-hour bus ride back home that I usually spend napping but while studying for the DAT I spent all my time on the bus going through different questions every day. I find that the best thing to do is not cram all your DAT studying for weekends only and school studying for weekdays, but to spread it all out throughout the week. You learn more/retain information better by spreading out your studying into little bits a day, some for school and some for DAT, instead of it all in big chunks!

3 hours ago, SK~ said:

For the General Chemistry section on the DAT, I would recommend you watch Chad’s videos on Youtube. That way you are still reviewing the material without having to expend a ton on mental energy. Good luck. 

30 minutes ago, Ms. Chip Skylark said:

I had the Kaplan DAT app that generates practice quizzes for PAT, BIO, CHM. I have a 2-hour bus ride to school and a 2-hour bus ride back home that I usually spend napping but while studying for the DAT I spent all my time on the bus going through different questions every day. I find that the best thing to do is not cram all your DAT studying for weekends only and school studying for weekdays, but to spread it all out throughout the week. You learn more/retain information better by spreading out your studying into little bits a day, some for school and some for DAT, instead of it all in big chunks!

Thank you so much guys!

Archived