Premed 101 Forums

Living Recommendations

You can live close to the Hospital, for sure, but I would consider also living in Lees or Sandy Hill, which are student areas near the main campus of the University. A shuttle runs for free between both Lees and the main campus, frequently throughout the day. 

I say this because Sandy Hill is close to downtown and other student resources, as well as grocery stores and major bus routes. Living by the hospital pretty much guarantees you'll be taking two buses everywhere. 

That said, one of my friends in medical school lives near the hospital, and a lot do. They live in a full house near CHEO (about a 10 minute walk) and pay roughly 750$/month.

I’m a current UOttawa med student. Half of the class lives downtown and half lives near the hospital. Near the hospital there are houses, not many apartment buildings except l’avantage. It’s a more expensive building though. I think about 800-900 a month per person. Near the hospital, it’s one bus to a loblaws and Walmart, but there are definitely more amenities downtown.