Premed 101 Forums

continue 2nd undergrad or not...

Hi guys,

I literally have no one I can talk to about being a non traditional applicant and was lucky enough to come across this website and connect with others who have gone down this path. So here I am in a bit of a dilemma and was hoping to get some advice, before literally my head explodes due to over thinking :S

To start off I pretty much tanked my first undergraduate degree. It was only in my last year I tried a different approach to studying and managed a GPA of 3.2 - I know it's still pretty low but it gave me some hope that I might just be able to do this...

I still was very undecided on whether I should start a second undergraduate and didn't know if I could achieve a high enough GPA, so I took 3 courses during fall and winter - and I surprisingly got a 3.86. Unfortunately, I had to take the second year off due to some personal family issues - i just couldn't risk my GPA and was mentally not in a good place. I took the following summer to mentally recharge and decided I wasn't going to give up on my dream. I came back this past fall and winter, took a full course load and received a 3.77. I know I can achieve higher grades, it's just been one hell of a journey but now more than ever I believe in myself and I know I can can get a 3.9+. 

Here's my dilemma - should I continue with my second undergraduate degree (remaining 2 years), or should I start all together and do an accelerated full time 2 year degree (from scratch without any gap years and non-full course load years)? 

Any feedback would be truly appreciated. And thanks again for taking the time to read this!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your turnaround Lauren. I am glad you're feeling like you're in a better place now :) As for starting a new degree, I don't think it will really matters - Ontario schools will primarily look at your last 2 years (Western), best two years (Queens), weighted last 3 years (Ottawa), weighted GPA (Toronto), or cGPA (Mac). So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make a difference.

Where it might make a difference is your interest in the material. If you've already completed 2 years of your second undergrad, you're probably going to be starting 3rd/4th year courses. I found these to be infinitely more interesting and easier to excel in than 1st/2nd year courses. Whereas if you start a new degree, you might be stuck with arbitrarily bell curved courses etc.

• 3 weeks later...