Premed 101 Forums

Jumpman

I think there's pros and cons to both. I'll brainstorm with you.

Staying in one lab:

+ Show commitment
+ Great reference letter and connection with a professor
+ Increased chance to publish (I bounced between 3 labs in my UG, never published) 
+ No need to be retrained constantly (there's always a slight bounce backwards in experience when you move lab to lab, for various reasons)

- Less experience on research techniques and different areas of research (that's mainly for your own personal growth, ex. clinical, animal, wet, dry...)
- Limited network and only one reference (but, hey, maybe that's OK if you know you'll have a reference elsewhere)

I would suggest maybe asking you professor if you can do an exchange in another lab for a summer. I did this and went to Germany. It's a great experience and you'll get another connection internationally and will expand your knowledge on different cultures (woo cultural sensitivity!). Even if you want to stay in the same country, it's still a reasonable way to leave your current lab and come back.

14 minutes ago, Jumpman said:

Wow thanks for the great answer!

I will have 2 other references for when I apply, so really that only leaves me with the con of having less experience on research techniques and different areas of research. Do you think this con would have an impact on my application?

No. It won't. Just focus on what you learned including hard (but mostly soft) skills on your application and not on the actual research. Nobody expects you to know everything about research and unless you have a future in research planned, switching labs will be of little value IMO.

• Jumpman changed the title to .