Premed 101 Forums

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, PThopeful23 said:

For those that are applying to the UBC PT program and have questions regarding admission, the program, etc. feel free to pm me or post here. I'll do my best to answer!

Awesome! Thank you! I was wondering if you know how UBC values pre reqs compared to last 30 credits avg? Do they just combine all of them based on credits and get the average? Also, do you think an average of around 90-91% combined prereq and last 30 gives me a good chance for an interview? Im very concerned as I have limited amounts of volunteer as I focus more on work experience.

11 minutes ago, rehabdream said:

Awesome! Thank you! I was wondering if you know how UBC values pre reqs compared to last 30 credits avg? Do they just combine all of them based on credits and get the average? Also, do you think an average of around 90-91% combined prereq and last 30 gives me a good chance for an interview? Im very concerned as I have limited amounts of volunteer as I focus more on work experience.

Ive applied to UBC as well this cycle. Theyre very secret about how they do anything; all we can do is speculate. But im sure they look at your whole application: grades, experience, references, and CASPER to make the decision.

9 hours ago, maybePT said:

Ive applied to UBC as well this cycle. Theyre very secret about how they do anything; all we can do is speculate. But im sure they look at your whole application: grades, experience, references, and CASPER to make the decision.

10 hours ago, rehabdream said:

I have to agree with you, they don't disclose any information and I couldn't say for certain how they determine your competitive average or how they weigh pre-req GPA versus last 30 credits GPA as well as everything else on the application. Usually a competitive avg for an interview would be around an 86-88% from previous years but from my understanding I believe they look at the entire application as a whole for interview selections and offers into the program. 

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, shinsplints said:

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone knows the MMI interview format (ie. 2min outside room, 5 or 7min inside?) 

Thanks! 

The interview format is based on the McMaster University Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI). During the MMI, candidates move between 9 interview stations on a circuit. Each station is 6-minutes long and there is a 2-minute transition and reading break in between stations.

hope this helps! 

My question is, how did you prep for the interview? Did you take any courses or just strictly used free online materials and practiced

Furthermore, is it similar to how the CASPer is? Not sure if you ever had to take it

On 2/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, rickiem said:

The interview format is based on the McMaster University Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI). During the MMI, candidates move between 9 interview stations on a circuit. Each station is 6-minutes long and there is a 2-minute transition and reading break in between stations.

hope this helps! 

My question is, how did you prep for the interview? Did you take any courses or just strictly used free online materials and practiced

Furthermore, is it similar to how the CASPer is? Not sure if you ever had to take it

This is correct, I believe there are 10 stations, 1 rest station, 2 minutes to read and 6 minutes to answer. I could be wrong about the number of total stations

In terms of prepping, I highly recommend making an MMI prep group on fb and adding anyone who may be interesting in practicing. During our application cycle, a bunch of us would meet up 1-2x a week to practice for the MMI. We gave each other really good honest feedback on how we could improve our answers, and I highly encourage that you do the same, it will only make yourself better. We would create question for each other, run mock MMI sessions of full 10 stations closer to the interview date.

Practice always helps! There were times where medical students and pharmacy students would also join in on MMI practice, which was helpful to gain a different perspective on questions.

If you are wondering about specifics of how to best answer questions, feel free to pm me. 

Hope this helped. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi everyone! 

Yesterday I received an interview for the MPT program. I am wondering if there is anyone currently in the program who has any helpful MMI tips?, things that they wish they practiced/knew before the interview.

The interview will be help via Zoom this year and I believe it will still follow similar MMI framework as previous years. 

TIA