Premed 101 Forums

End tenant lease early?

bananabread1212

So my lease ends on august 31st. But with the coronavirus, I've moved out of my student house. I lost my summer job because of this whole outbreak, so I cant afford to pay rent. I'm not able to find a sublet either because summer school is online now.

I've tried talking to my landlord, but he is not willing to end my lease early. I guess my question is, what should I do, and what would happen if I just don't pay rent?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice will be appreciated! :)

1. Apply for the Corona virus emergency fund. Others can chime in  (not 100% sure about this) but I think you would qualify since you are unable to work in the summer. This puts $2k/month in your pocket. 

2. Tell your landlord that if you move out early, he may be eligible for mortgage repayment deferral from the Canadian banks, meaning that he won't lose as much money from you moving out. 

3. I know you said you tried subletting but consider lowering the price as a last resort. 

4. If this fails, you can always use the emergency fund to pay the rent until Aug 31. 

Ideally, you want to avoid getting evicted. If this happens, it goes on your record and your credit score would be drastically damaged. 

Try a few of those things. I hope everything works out for you!

1 hour ago, PGY1_FM said:

1. Apply for the Corona virus emergency fund. Others can chime in  (not 100% sure about this) but I think you would qualify since you are unable to work in the summer. This puts $2k/month in your pocket. 

2. Tell your landlord that if you move out early, he may be eligible for mortgage repayment deferral from the Canadian banks, meaning that he won't lose as much money from you moving out. 

3. I know you said you tried subletting but consider lowering the price as a last resort. 

4. If this fails, you can always use the emergency fund to pay the rent until Aug 31. 

Ideally, you want to avoid getting evicted. If this happens, it goes on your record and your credit score would be drastically damaged. 

Try a few of those things. I hope everything works out for you!

2. Most banks are simply tacking on the mortgage payments to the end, and intrest still accrues. Deferral will actually COST MORE than just paying the payments now. Its simply a measure in most cases to help with short-term cash flow, but you pay for it down the line.

1. It seems like OP, like many students actually wont be eligible for much, unless they were already working.  its a short-sight of the plans, but cant always be perfect.

OP: Let your landlord know, and since youve already moved out - let them know again, that the room is vacant, you can't pay rent, and that you wish it could work out, and will keep trying to find another tenant - and that they are free to fill the spot too with another tenant. You can't take blood from a stone. Keep trying, but otherwise walk away. 

How much are you even paying for a room in a student house? 

As for this talk about evictions going on your credit score - as many places have already noted, this in fact is not really true in most cases.  I'm not endorsing skipping out on the rent, but if they arent willing to work with you, then theres not much you can do. Definitely try dropping the sublet price and take it as a loss, and contribute whatever you can to the landlord.  

OP, are you in Ontario?  

Assuming you are, this website from Legal Aid Ontario can give you some ideas.   Or maybe your university's legal aid clinic can give you some pointers. 

https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/housing-law/what-can-i-do-if-my-landlord-does-not-use-standard-lease-form - if your lease isn't on the standard Ontario lease form this might be helpful

https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/housing-law/how-can-i-get-out-my-rental-agreement - some general Ontario legal information 

Hope this might help!