Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS MSM

Having trained in the US I have little knowledge about this process so bear with me as I ask what are likely very basic questions: 

I was hoping to take a year or two off to work as an attending in the US and pay back some of my loans. That being said, I know the CaRMS MSM match is a little different in that in most specialities you have to be in your final year of training (i.e. R3) to apply. Though I am told CC will allow those beyond their R3 year to apply as well since it's usually co-administered by surgery/anesthesia depts which have longer residencies. 

My question is this; can I take a year or two off to work and then apply to CC? If I do so, will I be applying in the first iteration or second (I am Canadian who did not go abroad for my medical school education so I assume I would be first iteration but I am not sure whether taking that year or two to work would bump me to the second iteration)? Also are there any other specialities that will allow you to apply if you have already completed your R3 year? Specifically, I would be looking at pain medicine, palliative or even geriatrics? Finally, can I apply for any positions in the second iteration that may be available if I have already graduated and am working as an attending? Lets say respirology has a few spots unfilled in the second iteration, would I be eligible to apply for that or is it basically a no go if you have graduated/completed R3 aside from CC? 

Thanks in advance!  

17 hours ago, bluejay33 said:

Having trained in the US I have little knowledge about this process so bear with me as I ask what are likely very basic questions: 

I was hoping to take a year or two off to work as an attending in the US and pay back some of my loans. That being said, I know the CaRMS MSM match is a little different in that in most specialities you have to be in your final year of training (i.e. R3) to apply. Though I am told CC will allow those beyond their R3 year to apply as well since it's usually co-administered by surgery/anesthesia depts which have longer residencies. 

My question is this; can I take a year or two off to work and then apply to CC? If I do so, will I be applying in the first iteration or second (I am Canadian who did not go abroad for my medical school education so I assume I would be first iteration but I am not sure whether taking that year or two to work would bump me to the second iteration)? Also are there any other specialities that will allow you to apply if you have already completed your R3 year? Specifically, I would be looking at pain medicine, palliative or even geriatrics? Finally, can I apply for any positions in the second iteration that may be available if I have already graduated and am working as an attending? Lets say respirology has a few spots unfilled in the second iteration, would I be eligible to apply for that or is it basically a no go if you have graduated/completed R3 aside from CC? 

Thanks in advance!  

You still have to be a in a residency training program (PGY4,5 etc...) to be able to apply to CCM, you cannot finish residency and then apply (AFAIK). I don't know if non-canadian trained IM grads are in the first or second iteration... I actually think there in the 1st iteration. 

CCM is one of the few specialities that will allow you to apply beyond PGY3, (as long as your are not done residency though like I mentioned). I think pain and palliative may be like that but I am not 100% sure. For sure Geriatrics is NOT. 

"Lets say respirology has a few spots unfilled in the second iteration, would I be eligible to apply for that or is it basically a no go if you have graduated/completed R3 aside from CC? " - Nope once, you are done R3 you cannot apply for those second iteration spots at ALL, even if they go unfilled. I mean you can try contacting the school and seeing whether they can accommodate but I really doubt they will (funding usually goes away if spot is unfilled)