Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: How do I calculate my GPA?

The Law

So, lets say in one year I've taken 35 credit hours and have an OMSAS GPA of 3.45. In another year, lets say I've taken 42 credits and have an OMSAS GPA of 3.94. I know that at Queen's, my GPA will be the average of my two most recent years (the years listed above). Will they simply take that average of 3.94 and 3.45 or will they do a weighted average so that it's (3.94*42 + 3.45*35)/77 ?

It kind of makes a small, but significant diff. In case 1, I'd have a 3.70 OMSAS, but in case 2 I'd have a 3.72 OMSAS. This is right around where the cutoff floats for Queen's, so I'm interested to hear the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So my undergrad transcript is rather confusing.

Firstly, I went to Dal so it is based on a 4.3 GPA system...which I can deal with.

Secondly, my last 2 years I took 7 full courses (42 credit hours) and 5.5 courses (33 credit hours). Am I able to drop my lowest grades to get to 5 full credit hours?

Thirdly, I took an education degree so got only P/F for a year. Does this count at all for my GPA?

Thanks!

For lab courses that are only worth 0.25 credit:

Do you find your GPA and divide it by 2?

ex. University of Waterloo

Chemistry lecture (1 semester) Grade: 87 credit: 0.5 GPA = 3.9

Chemistry lab (1 semester) Grade: 85 credit: 0.25 GPA = 3.9/2?

Say in one year I take 10 0.5 credit courses and 6 0.25 credit courses, would I add up my GPA's as above (where I divide the 0.25 credit courses by 2) then divide by 13 total courses?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I also think it's rounded up, but I'm not sure - this is just a hunch. Although you have also to consider the fact that not all schools go with the OMSAS GPA. For example, let's say you are considering Ottawa and they decide OMSAS year 3 x 3, OMSAS year 2 x 2, OMSAS year 1 x 1 all divided by 6... and then you end with a 3.8455. It's now the school's policy and not OMSAS' that will decide what happens to your GPA.

PS - Mike, it could potentially make a big difference... 3.845 would be an auto-rejection from Ottawa, but a 3.85 would keep your hopes alive!

Best bet: E-mail the schools and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth! Unless med schools would rather be another animal... lion's mouth? (yikes, don't go near a lion's mouth... oy vey, I digress)... then report back here and let us know what they say.

I just read this post from so long ago and WOW am I weird or what?! lol

• 1 month later...

I've yet to actually attend Emily Carr, but just looking quickly (and googling!) I can't see how the grades would convert to the OMSAS scale. I'm sure there's other universities that aren't on the conversion chart, how do they get converted?

• 1 month later...

umm just a question regarding attending more than one university during your undergrad...so you would just use the first university's gpa scaling for the years you attended there, and then the second university's gpa scaling for the other years?? (ie, say you went to U of T for your first 2 years of undergrad, then did the last 2 at York). Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...
umm just a question regarding attending more than one university during your undergrad...so you would just use the first university's gpa scaling for the years you attended there, and then the second university's gpa scaling for the other years?? (ie, say you went to U of T for your first 2 years of undergrad, then did the last 2 at York). Is this correct?

Probably. You should check with the med schools though.

• 2 months later...

So I know this is probably a stupid question but how exactly is your GPA calculated on a 4 point scale. And how does it work with classes having different grading schemes, for example in my bio class they do not give out A+, but in my sociology class an A+ is anything over 90. Thanks!

Archived